Tank damage issues or am i ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
Why did it sensor out the word damage?
Lol must have put in a MN on accident can an admin fix?

Some of you may know i bought an aquarium off of Craigslist and it turned out to not be in that great of shape. There is a chip in the glass and tears in the caulking. It hold water I'm just terrified it will leak or shatter all over my apartment !

The tank

image-3814131584.jpg

Tear in bottom back caulking
"Weird angle"
image-339067430.jpg

Side tear

image-3856751686.jpg

Back crack

image-417536515.jpg

Back crack visible from inside the tank

image-223641421.jpg

Can you fill it up somewhere where any leak damage won't be a huge concern such as a garage?

I have a "chip" in my BRAND NEW Marineland 60 gallon I got from Petsmart that way -- it's on one of the edges of the tank like that, and though I did a fill up test to make sure there were no leaks before bringing it up to the room it was to permanently reside in, I am still scared it's gonna spring a leak at some point...

I don't think it will, though, so maybe you and I have nothing to worry about? :hide:

I have a "chip" in my BRAND NEW Marineland 60 gallon I got from Petsmart that way -- it's on one of the edges of the tank like that, and though I did a fill up test to make sure there were no leaks before bringing it up to the room it was to permanently reside in, I am still scared it's gonna spring a leak at some point...

I don't think it will, though, so maybe you and I have nothing to worry about? :hide:

Take it back if its new? This was a Craigslist buy I can't return it

This is why, also, I won't buy a used tank online, regardless of the temptation of value -- there's too many things that can be wrong with a BRAND NEW tank, let alone a used one...:nono:

Take it back if its new? This was a Craigslist buy I can't return it

No, too late to take it back; besides, I was NOT going through hauling that massive tank in my four door sedan again, nearly tearing the leather seats, when I could barely make it home the first time...we don't have a truck nor know anyone that does, so it's staying, hopefully to remain leak free...

I don't think these "chips" or "nicks" cause leaks though; is your damage an actual CRACK through the glass in which water can escape?

No, too late to take it back; besides, I was NOT going through hauling that massive tank in my four door sedan again, nearly tearing the leather seats, when I could barely make it home the first time...we don't have a truck nor know anyone that does, so it's staying, hopefully to remain leak free...

I don't think these "chips" or "nicks" cause leaks though; is your damage an actual CRACK through the glass in which water can escape?

It doesn't go all the way through but it's about 90% of the glass... I'm also worried about the caulking

Let me know how that goes; I may try it with my tank...:fish1:

Ya I mean it won't look the best but I'm more so interested in just seeing the fish I can hide the screw chip with a plant the biggest worry I have is the caulking I wonder if I can just caulk over the existing caulking

I would say it would be fine as is, I have some chips in my 125 i got off Craigslist the caulk tears shouldn't be a worry, but if you are you can't caulk over caulk you have to rip it out and redo it all.

I would say it would be fine as is, I have some chips in my 125 i got off Craigslist the caulk tears shouldn't be a worry, but if you are you can't caulk over caulk you have to rip it out and redo it all.

Tell that to my landlord :) haha the bathtub had the worst caulking its like so thick and lumpy so now it makes sense haha

Yea I think he did it while running

Lol ya I just laid some caulk down on a gap in the floor first time using it looks horrible but it matches the tub!

Before

image-354411528.jpg

After

image-974959872.jpg

And I just filled in the chip in the tank!

I'd give my self a B- only because it was my first time ever using caulk and the caulk I used was a GE SINGLE .

image-21556304.jpg

image-1698501356.jpg

Back
Top Bottom