Tank for a couple of fancies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, thinking about my future tank ;-) I would love to get a couple of young fancies and watch them grow out and hopefully live a long life, in an appropriate sized tank!

Just wondering if a long tank is more beneficial than a tall tank? I'm aware of the recommended gallons for fancies (30/40 for 2?) but was unsure about best footprint?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Length and width instead of height. Most often being able to reach 6" and larger, they'll need the room to swim and turn around in a tank. A 3 foot length is great for the first couple years and then into a pond. The 30b and 40b would be good choices as they have the 3' length and are 18" front to back.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I would just like to add that goldfish live a long time with proper care. I kept two fancy golds in a 55 gallon for 17 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryukins appericiate a tall tank but long and wide is more important def. Also fancies don't get as big as commons so don't necessarily need to move on into a pond. With a good size tank they will live a happy life. Just get as big as you can.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Thank you all. I kept common goldfish as a child (lacking proper care and info) they lasted about 6/7 years usually.....excited to see how they could look and how long they live with better knowledge, a much bigger tank and maybe a wee bit of good luck) :)

Can I also ask your opinions on having panda Cory's in with the fancies?? There appears to be an overlap in their min and max temp ranges. I don't keep panda's at the moment because they prefer cooler water than my tropical fish......hoping someone has had success with them with Goldie's! :-D

I'm not sure about cories. But I have wcms and danios in with my fancies. Everyone getsalong.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

The issue is that Cories need a meat based Diet and Fancies need a sinking Plant based diet. If you do a planted tank and offer the Cories a feeding station that excludes the GF, that might work.

For two Fancies long term ? A 50g might work.

Back
Top Bottom