Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a very rough start with my tank. I've had it for 6 months now.
I trusted a salt water hobbiest to help me out and i feel like i screwed up my tank.
First of all, i never did the nitrate process thing when i first got my tank. I am afraid i might have ruined my tank. then i was told there was no cycle to wait before introducing fish and other critters. i bought this (i am very sorry reader i am horrible) pink soft tree type of coral...i can't remember what it is, 3 weeks after i got my tank, but it somehow i am doing something right because it is Budding and produced 10 little guys and starting up again right now.
I have killed 14 fish and now i know partly why, my tank wasnt ready.
I do have coralline algea and i have kept alive a damsel fish for 3 months now.
But my question is...what should i do? should i go back and do the nitrate process thing??
and i also have a major algea problem. i dont have light coming in but yet redish algea grows on the sand and i have green algea on the glass. i am so confused and the internet and different websites say to do different things. So now i have come here to ask you guys to see if you can help.

Thank you,
Adain

It is supposed to be a reef tank but i am afraid to put anything in the tank and what to start with.

Do you have a test kit? If so, what are your test results?

You don't need to "go back and do the nitrate thing", but you do need to know whats happening to the nitrogen cycle in your tank. Pick up a good liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

What water are you using for water changes? For a saltwater reef tank you want to use RO/DI water to mix up the saltwater for your water changes.

That red stuff is most likely cyanobacteria. How long do you keep your lights on? Are you using tap water?

Reducing lighting hours to 8-10 hours a day can help fight cyanobacteria. Also if you're using tap water, the impurities feed the bacteria. Using good Reverse Osmosis/DIstilled water will help reduce the food for the bacteria.

Thank you I am using the filtered water out of the fridge...haha i spend an hr trying to get it all. where can i purchase RO/DI water?
i have my lights on for 9 hrs a day. i have gotten my water tested many times and all my levels are good. in the last three months i got it tested 7 times by 2 different stores and they did the whole shabang to make sure all levels are good, but i will go pick up a test kit so i can do it myself.

Do you recommend any types of coral that would be good starters. I have a damsel and i am pleased with them at the moment. i am too afraid to try different fish due to the causalties.

Thank you so much for the help i will be switching to the differennt water and i think that will make a big difference.
also do you know how to get rid of the pesky brown anenomes(sorry for my names of the animals) they pop up and i can't seem to get rid of them.

I also want to ask...
i was told and i have been doing since a water change every 2 weeks and i do about half the tank. i have a feeling its too much at one time, but i am a newbie and maybe its just me.

the filtered water out of the fridge is not good for your tank. it's the same as getting water out of the sink. i tested the water coming out of our fridge, which has a filter in it as well, and the T.D.S. (total dissolved solids) in the water was exactly the same as straight from the tap.

here is a recent thread about the "pesky brown anemones"-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/any-other-way-to-get-rid-of-these-things-137272.html

50% might be useful in an emergency, but i would probably do 20% water changes from now on. i would do them weekly.

Back
Top Bottom