Tank Hood Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CT_aquarist1290

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Back in October I bought a Fluval Accent tank at my local PetCo (where I work) because we were no longer going to carry it and they chopped the price to $47 (from $300). I now know of the woes of this tank... The filter is crap and debris just sits behind it. I have since switched it out for an Aqueon Quietflow 20. The heater isn't the best but I can manage to get it to mid 70's in my tank (by setting it to mid 80's).

Now, on to the issue at hand with my LED hood. With only three months of use the LED strip has stopped working. I'm assuming this is due to the moisture. I was looking to get a new hood but I have run into a problem. I need a hood that measures 30", not 29 1/4". This size will literally drop right into the tank. Are there ANY light hoods out there that actually measure 30" long so I don't have jerry-rig the 29 1/4 sitting on top of the two pieces of the original hood? My kitten seems to love knocking everything over and will jump up there, no matter how I try to prevent her to do so. I'm concerned that she will either knock it into the tank, and or fall into the tank along with it! :(

I fear I will just need to buy a 29 gal tank and use the hood I bought... I really don't need to spend the extra money.

I'd still be spending extra money to do so. But do the glass panels actually measure 30" long? I would just measure them at work, but we don't have any 30" glass lids at the moment. I've only had the lid for a few days so I can always return it and buy something else.

I'd still be spending extra money to do so. But do the glass panels actually measure 30" long? I would just measure them at work, but we don't have any 30" glass lids at the moment. I've only had the lid for a few days so I can always return it and buy something else.

If it comes down to it you can just get a piece of glass cut. When it comes down to it, since you're going to need a new light anyways you could just return what you bought, buy a light that will sit on the rim of the tank, and go lidless. I havent had a lid on my fresh water tanks for 2 years now

Do as Mebbid says! Get a glass cover! I came here for advice about a hood and was told glass covers are much less expensive. So true! I spent half of what I would have, and I love the glass tops! No one had the size I needed for my 55 gallon, so I ordered it online. The tanks look so much better with them, IMO. And they're easy to clean too. My lights just sit right on top of them. I would highly recommend glass tops, even if you have to get the glass cut, it'll still cost you a lot less.

Yes, I know, but the issue is that my kitten (while only 5 lbs) jumps onto the top of the tank (she can easily clear the five feet to the top). I need something sturdy that won't break or cause her to get hurt if it breaks. Never mind she would drop straight into the tank and be at risk or drowning. As for not having a lid, she would just go straight in, which has almost happened while I was doing a water change. Thankfully I was standing there and was able to grab her before she fell in.

I have been trying to teach her not to go up there, and trying to come up with ways to keep her off, but nothing works. I may just have to try calling Fluval and hopefully they give me a new LED lid...

The cat certainly wouldn't drown if it fell in the tank.

Just go with 1/4" thick glass. It's thick enough for a table so it can definitely support a cat jumping on it.

Yes, I was thinking the same that Mebbid just said--that the glass, if it's thick enough, would have no problem supporting the weight of a cat. I would use it, and not worry about it. I also agree the kitten wouldn't drown. Cats will get themselves the heck out of water, RIGHT NOW! And she'd also learn, as a result, not to do that again! But I know what you mean about kittens getting into EVERYTHING. That's why I stopped having cats after my last one died of old age. Hearing things falling and crashing in the middle of the night is not my cup of tea, the older I get! :)

I use a Hiss and a squirt bottle to train Cats. I Hiss, then I shoot them. They learn to stop immediately when I Hiss.

Look up Snappy Trainers. You can also use a motion sensor can of air to keep cat away from stuff.

I train my cats to leave my Birds and tanks alone. Esp when I had 64 Tarantulas.

Be consistent. And make time for play time to exercise the kitten daily.
A tired Cat is a well behaved cat.

My Canary is going on 11yrs. My last Cat went to 20yrs and I've trained the current roomie's cats to NOT come in my room. They can watch respectfully from the doorway.

The key is body language. Calm behavior is ok. I set a limit in how close the cat can approach my tank/bird. If they stay calm they can sit and observe from that limit.

Tensing, crouching, intense staring gets a correction and ejection from vicinity.

I had 2 Whippets, a Persian and 3 Birds, plus Tanks in my room at one time. Peaceful kingdom ( Queendom)

I'm the Alpha. They are loyal spoiled well trained subjects ?❤️

Consistency counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom