Tank in sunlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I set up a tank in my foyer. It is now receiving a lot of sunlight and the water is slightly green. Yes water changes help but I can never seem to get the water clear anymore. Do UV sterilizers work? It is a 55g tank. Any suggestions besides water changes or chemicals?

Thank you

If the sun is hitting the front of the tank, you'll still be cleaning the glass a lot, even with uv.

I've seen some tanks use the sunlight from Windows as their only source of light, and they do not have algae or discolored water. However, they are all heavily planted tanks. Maybe you could try adding plants

What kind of filter are you using? If it is the hang on tank type, you can grow philodendron, pathos, or avocado out of the filter box. That will absorb a lot of nitrates from the water.

Best solution is to either relocate the tank, or to put a black drape over the window to block out the sunlight. I have a tank right next to my window. Algae is never a problem. I have black drapes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom