Tank is Overheating, need help ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matman1110

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday I transported my fish from my old tank to my new tank and everything was under control. The temp had been stable for 24 hours at 79 when i moved the fish over. I woke up this morning and the temp spiked to 85 and i fear it could get worse. I also installed and plugged in a cannister filter (fx5) right after i moved my fish over. Could this be generating heat inside the tank? The odd thing is the AC is on pretty high in the room of the fish tank and it feels cold, but the tank is hot. I think this might be a heater issue.

I already unplugged one of my two heaters (theo hydor 200w). All my fish are still alive thank heavens, but any help would be appreciated on the safest way i can lower the tank temp and also what you think could have caused this spike.

Edit*: I just checked my thermostat in my house and it says 65 but my tank is at 85. Could the heaters be reacting to the cold temperature in the room by exerting extra heat in the tank?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Yesterday I transported my fish from my old tank to my new tank and everything was under control. The temp had been stable for 24 hours at 79 when i moved the fish over. I woke up this morning and the temp spiked to 85 and i fear it could get worse. I also installed and plugged in a cannister filter (fx5) right after i moved my fish over. Could this be generating heat inside the tank? The odd thing is the AC is on pretty high in the room of the fish tank and it feels cold, but the tank is hot. I think this might be a heater issue.

I already unplugged one of my two heaters (theo hydor 200w). All my fish are still alive thank heavens, but any help would be appreciated on the safest way i can lower the tank temp and also what you think could have caused this spike.

Edit*: I just checked my thermostat in my house and it says 65 but my tank is at 85. Could the heaters be reacting to the cold temperature in the room by exerting extra heat in the tank?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a heater malfuction. Keep an eye on the water temp with the one heater running. All aquariums heaters have a built in themostat to regulate the temp and shut off when it reaches the set temp you put it at.
The AC should not affect your heaters in your tank. They might stay on longer to keep the tank at 79 but not over adjust themselves. Did you check your setting on your heaters. Did one happen to get turned up by chance? Test the one you took out in a bucket of water, if it works test the other one.
As far as lowering the tank heat safely. 2 degrees a day is the safest way. slowly adjust the working heater to lower the temp. TO keep the fish happy add more air if you have another air pump. But it sounds like a heater malfunction.
Good Luck

Sounds like a heater malfuction. Keep an eye on the water temp with the one heater running. All aquariums heaters have a built in themostat to regulate the temp and shut off when it reaches the set temp you put it at.
The AC should not affect your heaters in your tank. They might stay on longer to keep the tank at 79 but not over adjust themselves. Did you check your setting on your heaters. Did one happen to get turned up by chance? Test the one you took out in a bucket of water, if it works test the other one.
As far as lowering the tank heat safely. 2 degrees a day is the safest way. slowly adjust the working heater to lower the temp. TO keep the fish happy add more air if you have another air pump. But it sounds like a heater malfunction.
Good Luck

At the time of the spike i was running 2 heaters, a 200w and 400w theo hydor heater. Both were set to 79-80. I first unplugged the the 200w. Then about 30 or 45 minutes later i grabbed my old heater from my old tank (200w stealth), which has never failed on me for 2 years, and replaced the 400w theo hydor with the stealth. I waited for the temp to drop a little and then i plugged in the stealth. So currently i have 2 heaters in the tank (200w TH, 200w Stealth), and only the stealth is plugged in. Since the spike the temp has dropped from 85 to 81. Fish look very happy like always. Could the 600w combination between both TH heaters have caused this spike. I guess im asking is 600 total watts of heat in a 125 gallon too much?

I have plugged back in my 200w TH, so both heaters are now running with the temp at 81.

Thanks for the quick response

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom