Tank Lighting Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hey guys/gals. Just a few quick questions I'd like to have answered.
Ok, I recently redid my 10 gallon tank this weekend and went on a little spending spree as well. I bought a 15 pound bag of flourite red, a hagen C02, and some weird bunched plants that i've never seen or heard of before. It kind of resembles foxtail only its has real fine "whiskers" that are real soft and looks a little different.
Anyways, I'm planning on doing a diy hood. The bulb I have in there currently is a NO 15 watt standard bulb. The questions I have are:
1. In my hood, should I build a dual bulb or tri bulb fixture. 15 watts each, 2x 15 = 3 wpg or 3x 15 = 4.5 wpg. I'm planning on planting glosso for a foreground, so which would be better?
2. With the lights, some "plant" bulbs i've seen are rated at 4200 kelvin. Would one of these and say a 6500 bulb be better? or if I go with 3 bulbs, would it be better having 2 of one temp and one of another or should i get say a 4200, 5500, and 6500 degree bulbs for the plants?
What are your experiences with multiple bulbs?

TIA
-Stewie

Yeah, I've visited ah supply and drooled there a few times. I've considered it, but with the cost of the kits, i'm just not sure if my budget will allow. I can get the wood to build the canopy for free, the bulbs would cost 5-10 each (homedepot or even a lfs), and the balasts dont cost alot either. The cost of a dual 36 watt setup is 62.99 whereas even a single 36 watt kitt would be 41.99 not including shipping or the bulbs. I think I could build a 3x 15 watt NO fixture (yeah, it might be bulky, but oh well) with bulbs and all for ~ $30.00 lights included. Then i'd have the cost of a glass/plexiglass top to make for it so there isn't water getting on the bulbs.
Oh well, time will tell what I do. Thanks for the reply though. Its always an option.

mixing bulbs is always an option, some swear by it. I personally like the 6700k bulb as opposed to anything lower. Just my preference.

With good co2 and a good fertilizer regimen, glosso is possible with 3 watts. I've got glosso under 3 wpg. It doesn't grow as fast as it would had I gone with pressurized co2, but its decent. You really have to keep up with ferts though, and if you're keeping up with ferts, you're keeping up with water changes.

with 3 bulbs you may have some heating issues as well, something to keep in mind.

keep ahsupply in mind. I personally feel compact is the way to go, even if you have to save up a little cash.

From what I am reading, if you want the glosso to grow w/ the carpet affect you will need high lighting, and 36 watts on a 10 gallon is considered high light if I am not mistaken. I am running 30 on my 10 and having great luck w/ my anacharis, anubis and hornwort. I do agree w/ the cf way, but i have not shelled out the cash

Back
Top Bottom