Tank maintenance - diatom filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
I used a diatom filter to cure green water back in November, 2005. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=66071&highlight=diatom

I haven't had the green water problem since, but I'm planning to run the diatom filter on each of my tanks for about an hour once a month. Here are some pics showing the subtle, but noticeable difference it makes.

All pics taken without flash and with same settings - I didn't adjust white balance, color, or contrast for any of them.

First pic is a front shot of my 58 gal. Yesterday, I scrubbed the inside glass and did a 50% water change. Tank looks clean - no visible green water. I last ran the diatom filter about 5 weeks ago.

Second pic is taken through the length of the tank at an ad that I placed on my end table.

Third pic is same shot taken after the diatom filter had been running for an hour.

Simply amazing!! :D

Attachments

• c_img_3079.jpg
    c_img_3079.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 81
  • b_img_3075.jpg
    b_img_3075.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 91
  • a_img_3074.jpg
    a_img_3074.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 94
dag nabbit, that looks great! and funny you should post this, b/c i'm running my diatom filter right now too. i have a 1 every 2week schedule, and since i did a major aquascaping yesterday i felt it was in order. they REALLY do make a difference don't they?!

My brother owns a 55 gallon and we've been discussing diatom filters lately, but haven't found any good info really. Are these a messy filter to setup? The LFS said we had to put a cup in the tank at water level with both the intake and output hoses inside the cup with some water from the aquarium and turn it on and add the filtering media into the cup. This seems to be a little bit of a hassle or messy. How do you all setup yours?

I had a Vortex many years ago. It died and I will get another one day. Setting it up was a pain until I bought the recirculating valves Vortex sells.

You open the jar, add water and diatom powder, close the jar, close the valve and turn it on. Run it for a minute or two until the bag is coated. Put the hoses in the tank, turn on the valve and you're gold. No muss, no fuss and no powder in the tank.

When you're done, close the valve, remove hoses from tank and unplug the filter.

I used to store it for weeks with the water and powder in the jar. If I was concerned about old water, I would run it in a pail of fresh water for a minute, close the valve, put the hoses in the fish tank and open the valve.

The powder would last for 3 or 4 runnings.

Good Luck,
Eric

Tropicfishman, I made a photo essay about setting up and running the Vortex D1 filter. The photo captions to the right of each pic tell it all.
http://community.webshots.com/album/509004274PoRAHg

I more-or-less do what your lfs suggested. Instead of a cup, I use a 1/2 gallon isolation tank that hangs on the aquarium.
( http://www.petlanddiscounts.com/detail.asp?product_id=351600 )

Eric1514, the new Vortex Freedom comes with the recirculation valve you mention. Big Als sells the valve separately too, and I have considered buying it to make switching the filter between my tanks easier.
I clean the filter after each use in my bathtub (no mess, but it does take some time). I thought about leaving the filter charged with diatom powder, and full of water between uses, but I was just concerned about stuff growing in it and strange odors. I guess that's never been a problem for you?

Oh, and welcome to AA to both of you!! :onfire: :multi: :smilecolros: :multi: :onfire:

QTOFFER said:
...Eric1514, the new Vortex Freedom comes with the recirculation valve you mention. Big Als sells the valve separately too, and I have considered buying it to make switching the filter between my tanks easier.
I clean the filter after each use in my bathtub (no mess, but it does take some time). I thought about leaving the filter charged with diatom powder, and full of water between uses, but I was just concerned about stuff growing in it and strange odors. I guess that's never been a problem for you?...

I didn't worry too much about it. Sometimes, before I stored it, if I had time, I would run the filter in a pail of tap water to get the benefit of the chlorine. Never really had a problem with icky stuff growing in the jar. YMMV. The reason I tried to save the powder was that I was poor and didn't have a cheap source of diatom powder. I'm not sure I would do it that way now, but I might. I'm not poor now, but I am cheap! :lol:

Take Care,
Eric

I too reuse the powder quite a bit. I usually wait til it gets very brown before I change it. I don't think there's any harm as everything you're trying to trap stays trapped in the filter. Like you said Andy..... cleaning is a pain, but the results are worth the efforts. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom