tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquascapist

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey everyone
I have three blue gourami, three angels' two eclipse catfish one loach, and a frog. what other types of fish can I pute in there? also how many cubic inches of fish do you recommend in a 40 gallon tank? should I even add anymore? it seems like I should be able to.
thanks a lot

What kind of loach is it? And it's not as easy as inch/gallon, it depends on the different fish. Loaches vary from slender bodied and under 4in to tall bodied and 12+ inches so knowing the specific type of loach you have could help a lot.

I think it is a weather loach or dojo loach. he actually jumped out of my tank when i first got him and I found him lying on my floor. I just picked him up, rinsed him and out him back in the tank and he survived. I have no idea how long he was out of the tank for.

Unlike the kuhli loach, the dojo loach can reach up to 10in and be very active, IMO a 40 gallon would not be sufficient especially because I assume the footprint is more square than rectangle. I would suggest rehoming the loach and one angel, then add a small schooling group, like some sort of tetra, or just rehome the loach and leave your stock as it is, OR you could just get a bigger tank! Maybe someone else has a better suggestion though

Tetras or barbs would be your best option. Some people say that dojo loaches eat smaller fish.

The weather loach could cause problems with your Angels, they like to play with bigger fish which can cause stress on the other fish and in the case of the Angels they panic and crash into everything in the tank, injuring themselves.

Pic of a loach I took of my friend as it was torturing his Angels and Gourami, not aggressively, he just likes to play. He is just over 10inch's.

Attachments

• image-2692765805.jpg
    image-2692765805.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 64
o wow! that's what I have. I've had mine for about 6 months now and I haven't noticed any growth our bullying from him. so your saying tetras won't get bullied from my angels? I had a bunch of guppies but they all got eaten and I don't want that to happen to any tetras

I think it all depends on the nature, age and size of your other fish, angels and dojos will both eat anything they can fit in their mouths so if theyre fully grown I wouldnt add the smaller tetras, I have angels with cardinals but my angels are still growing and have never even shown any interest in them. Tiger barbs probably wouldnt work with the angels either since I hear theyre extremely nippy, your best bet would be to rehome the loach and add some corrys or something else that would stay small if youre really wanting to add more fish.

Back
Top Bottom