Tank Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako_

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking for reliable tanks that are affordable. What are the price ranges on tanks and where should I go to shop for them? I've been looking at online sites and it says that at Petsmart, a 36 gallon is about $259, and a 50 gallon is around $349. Is this about the right price at most places or can I get them a little bit cheaper around the same gallon area?

You will not find better deals than craigslist. When I first started out I went to petsmart and paid wayyyy to much.

+2 on Craigslist. Just know what you're looking at and what it would go for new. It seems like you either get a great deal, or you're dealing with people who must have gold plated their tanks. There's been one on Chicago Craigslist for a 10g and a 20H on a wrought iron stand for nearly $200. It comes with some livebearers, cheap equipment, and clown puke gravel. It's been up for months and I laugh when I see it posted again.

Those prices in the first post seem a little high to me. Usually petsmarts and the like will have a dollar/gallon sale every few months. That is when I got my 30g long for $30. That is probably the only time I would buy from them, and certainly not any of their livestock.

+2 on Craigslist. Just know what you're looking at and what it would go for new. It seems like you either get a great deal, or you're dealing with people who must have gold plated their tanks. There's been one on Chicago Craigslist for a 10g and a 20H on a wrought iron stand for nearly $200. It comes with some livebearers, cheap equipment, and clown puke gravel. It's been up for months and I laugh when I see it posted again.

ROFL.... I love that term!

Those prices in the first post seem a little high to me. Usually petsmarts and the like will have a dollar/gallon sale every few months. That is when I got my 30g long for $30. That is probably the only time I would buy from them, and certainly not any of their livestock.

Petco should be doing the $1/G sale in late Aug - early Sept. Last year it was good for tanks up to 29G.

So you can get a 180 gallon tank for $180?

As far as the petsmarts out in my area are concerned, they never have tanks higher than 75 in store, the rest you have to order online. I will tell you that in my areas ive seen 135 gallons on CL for 100 bucks. When i bought my 36 gallon bowfront as one of their package deals i paid 460 bucks. I didnt know about CL and last month i purchased my 250 gal with stand for 500 bucks, so as some other said on here it depends on what your looking for and whats included.

There are some limits, I think it varies from store to store so call and ask around. I bought mine from Pet Supplies Plus (now Burton's Total Pets) and a 30g was the biggest you could get with the $1/gallon sale. They were even hesitant to give me the 30g long. They told me it was only for the tall 30g's.

Isn't it better to have a longer tank than tall? Do the fish care or is it just more conveinant for humans to be able to reach the tank when it's on a stand?

A longer tank tends to be better for a lot of applications because of the extra lateral swim area and surface area for O2 exchange. Some applications are better suited to a tall tank though. It just depends on what you intend to house.

I just wish I could find a 30 long where I'm at they are pretty rare, although I haven't burned the midnight oil on it.

Tall tanks are good for angels and discus where as long are good for the lateral swimmers like daniosas hn1 said. It also depends on what you can place in your house. Some ppl choose tall tanks because its more water on a smaller footprint.

I just wish I could find a 30 long where I'm at they are pretty rare, although I haven't burned the midnight oil on it.

Tall tanks are good for angels and discus where as long are good for the lateral swimmers like daniosas hn1 said. It also depends on what you can place in your house. Some ppl choose tall tanks because its more water on a smaller footprint.

You have a 200+ gallon, don't you? And say when I eventually get the money to afford a 200+ gallon tank, should I buy a stand to go with it or would it be easier to make a reliable stand that will support the tank weight?

You have a 200+ gallon, don't you? And say when I eventually get the money to afford a 200+ gallon tank, should I buy a stand to go with it or would it be easier to make a reliable stand that will support the tank weight?

Yeah I'm working on my 250 now and like I said before I got a killer deal off CL for it. I would recommend if you get one with a stand that you like just reenforcing it. I added some 2x6's anchored into some 2x4's anchored into the original stand, just for piece of mind since once its filled it'll be well over 2,000 lbs. If your really handy with wood then go for it just always keep in mind stability because of the weight.

So what is the average pricing on a 200+ gallon tank? I was looking a little into CL and I saw some tanks that were local but I think I might of seen only one 210 gallon with a Oak stand.

Right now in my area there's been a 240 gallon glass that needs to be resealed(no biggie) for 300. That's almost a buck per gallon, now that's only the tank, but there's also another 260 gal acryllic for 700 (more expensive with acryllic). There's a nice 240 with a stand similar to mine for 500 (may have dropped the price though). There's also quite a few SW tanks around too. I don't know where your located but there's always a great deal for larger tanks around here. Just check everyday a few times a day and you'll get lucky and sometimes if you give them what they're asking for they'll throw in a bunch of extras (mine threw in a 4' light and 3 glass canopies)

Well I live in New Jersey. I'm not sure how many aquarium keepers there are in the whole state but when I searched for fish tanks on CL, 51 items popped up.

Haha yeah search fish tank and aquarium, do it without pictures and if you find one just email them to send you a pic. I've got 200 plus items, I guess california like fish tanks

Yeah. California is a big state too. By the way, what kind of fish do you usually keep? Are they tropical?

Back
Top Bottom