tank purchase advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sesos

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking to buy a 29 gallon system. Marineland offers an "Eclipse" all-inclusive system and from what I understand they're a good manufacturer of aquaria products. I currently own a 10 gallon kit from ViaAqua that seems to be good (any opinions on them?) but I simply bought it on looks alone for my first tank. I liked the "seamless" corners and the fact that it had a smaller footprint. I wish I had known that it's really all about water surface and not just water volume, oh well, live and learn (and then buy a bigger tank). Are kits in general good buys or are we better off buying individual items to build our own kits?

Sesos

I recently bought an Eclipse System 12 for my first tank. Its kinda small but I really like it. I'd consider buying another Eclipse for my next tank (although I've got my eyes on an All Glass 46 gallon bow front... ). :)

Depends on what you want in a system.

I have an Eclipse 25g that came with the system. Love the bio wheel, hate the filters (they clog too easily; once I finish this last pack I'm making my own; plus they're expensive). I like the fact its all set up nice n neat and easy to access, don't like the lights that came with it (no good for most plants, although my amazons seem to like em).

I've a 10g partially planted (waiting for the rest to come in!) that I added a HOB with bio-wheel filter, a glass top and bought a plant specific light which rests on the glass top. Don't like the way the light looks on top, the glass gets dirty quickly, but the plants I have in there atm are happy campers.

I'm getting a cheap 55g with stand n hood sometime in the next week or so. Not thrilled with the hood or lighting, but I don't plan on having plants in there so I'm not worried bout it. I'll be buying an Emporer filter system for it most likely, and a Fluval as well (messy fish).

So it all depends on what you want. Full systems tend to be easier, but are less flexible then doing things yourself.

So, what gives with these bow front tanks? Do they just look cool or is there some functionality that I'm missing? I've seen a couple at my lfs and I thought they looked great.

The are pretty but also give a little more volume without a horrible amount of extra space.

I just bought a tank today, 29 gallon. I think I got a pretty good deal on in from my LFS. It is an All Glass aquarium, solid pine All Glass base (oak finish), Rena submersable heater (150 watt), Emperor 280 Filter, hood, 4 bags of gravel, thermometer, for $199 plus tax. I thought it was a good deal.

Bill

bowfront

I think the bow fronts look awesome! However, my LFS warned me that they can be a little harder/ impossible to clean with the magnet style algae tool. If you use another means, they said that they are fine. This may or may not be true, but they do look great in my opinion! The price appears reasonable, as well.

I like the Eclipse system, but as you said, Sesos, it has reduced surface area than a lower, wider tank would have. I like the neat appearance, tho. You can get retro-fit kits to improve the lighting, and I think Drs. Foster and Smith sells an Eclipse-compatible retro-fit kit to give you two bulbs in the same spot instead of one. AH Supply has been a great resource to me for retro-fit lighting, as well. Allivymar, my 55-gal with standard lighting seems dim even without needing plant lighting! It is kinda buggin' me...

I bought a custom sealife retrofit light kit for my Eclipse 3 hood. Got it from Drs. Foster and Smith. I use it on my 40 gallon tall tank. It puts out 65w of light. Plenty for the plants I have in the tank.

Great hood with a really clean looking design. Can't say enough about it.

Yeah, Biggen, that is what I was talking about. To my knowledge AH Supply does not stock anything like that.

To my knowledge AH Supply does not stock anything like that.

I don't believe they do either. Problem I have with AH Supply is that one has to put EVERYTHING together that they send you. For the novice that has no experience with lighting an aquarium, this can be a daunting task. At least with the Custom Sealife kit, most of it is already assembled. The hardest part is taking out the old fixture.

I hate to get so far off topic here, but I agree with you, Biggen. In their defense, however, I made a mistake in my selection once and I got a call from them to clarify what I was trying to do, and they steered me in the right direction. The first time I visited their site I was somewhat daunted! If you know what you want, tho, cheap, cheap cheap!

Back
Top Bottom