Tank REnewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booginish

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so im clearing out my tank to start a new theme, im bringing all my fish back to the fish store and there buying them from me, i want to know how many days my bacteria(nitrite recyclers, ammonia recyclers) will last without fish? its been cycelled for a while now(1 year), and i dont plan on repopulating the tank right away. Is there treatments i could also use on the tank to ensure there are no unhealthy diseases or infections left in the tank from the other fish? so introduction of new fish will be in a clean cycelled enviroment. Are there any inexpensive ways, ex. lots of salt for a few days, or high heat temp for a few days to kill anything harmful without harming good bacteria?

There isn't really any reason to treat your tank unless the fish you are taking back is diseased. I don't know how long your tank can hold a cycle without some type of ammonia present. I know that when I have an empty tank I want to keep cycled I put a bunch of snails in it or guppies. Are you going to quarantine your fish you are getting? I know with wild caught fish I always quarantine at least a month. Others I do for 2 weeks.

i think there might be illness i had a death yesterday but i cant comfirm what it is yet, i just want to know if there is anything i could use to kind of treat everything. im thinking about leaving a few danios in the tank to keep the cycle goin, but the fish im putting in after might eat them. i will most likely quarantine but when introducing to new tank i wanna be sure its safe for them.

It really depends why the fish died. If you treat with antibiotics it will probably kill your cycle. Internal and external parasites are treated differently. Some fish die from stress as well.

Back
Top Bottom