Tank setup (help needed)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsFreshwater

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive decided to start a 10 gallon shrimp tank. I've done a lot of research on the shrimp (don't worry) but what I need to know is which heater and filter to get. If anyone could find me ones on amazon and send me the link I would be very grateful :)

Does it have to be a ten gallon? As I know a tank made especially made for shrimp. It comes with EVERYTHING you need but it's 9 gallon.

The best filters for shrimp tanks are sponge filters which are easy to make and very cheap! And TBH shrimp really don't need a heater as long as the temperature is stable, they like the low 70s/high 60s. Or at least that's where I kept mine and they did great... Or at least until my fry at them:(

I live in quite a hot country and in the summer temperatures can reach 40 degrees Celsius. Should I buy a heater for the winter or not. By the way I live in Cyprus :).......?and I don't want to buy a new tank because I have already got the tank added the substrate and plants :/

MrsFreshwater said:
I live in quite a hot country and in the summer temperatures can reach 40 degrees Celsius. Should I buy a heater for the winter or not. By the way I live in Cyprus :).......?and I don't want to buy a new tank because I have already got the tank added the substrate and plants :/

Yeah you probably should buy the heater for the winter. I think that the temperature flux would be pretty big. But if you wanted to you could wait a little while to buy it, or you could buy it now:). It's up to you! Just an FYI you should probably put a fan on the tank to keep it cooler for the shrimp! Don't want them boiled;)

MrsFreshwater said:

Oh okay. I was going to suggest the ebi shrimp tank. Btw I've been loads of times to cyprus and love it!

Just about any filter will do; sponges are good for shrimp tanks but you could buy a small hang on the back filter and slip a sponge or tie some netting over the intake so they don't get sucked in.

Oh and some live plants are always appreciated by shrimp as it will provide cover and it can be a source of food for them; shrimp really like moss to hide in and eat food particles that get into the moss, etc. Most mosses can grow in very low light.

MrsFreshwater said:
Ive decided to start a 10 gallon shrimp tank. I've done a lot of research on the shrimp (don't worry) but what I need to know is which heater and filter to get. If anyone could find me ones on amazon and send me the link I would be very grateful :)

Any filter will do really. In my 5.5g Shrimp Paradise I have an in-tank filter. Nobody get sucked up at all :)

View attachment 110243

View attachment 110244

Just make sure you get some plants! Not only for safety and all the benefits that live plants bring, but Shrimp coloration against the green is usually outstanding!

Wow that looks like a really good tank setup. What type of filter do you have??

MrsFreshwater said:
Wow that looks like a really good tank setup. What type of filter do you have??

Thank you! :D

It's just a small Tetra Filter made for smaller aquariums. Any Petsmart will carry them. Although I am unsure if Petsmart is in Cyprus!

For smaller tanks, I find it more important to have good plants than a great filter. The filter and plants work in conjunction with each other to produce a healthy cycle.

*Edit* Also, generally the higher filters have a higher water turnover rate. This higher rate causes lots of current. I tend to stay away from that. Unless you obviously keep fish who live in high currant environments :)

Back
Top Bottom