Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Well, ive got a few questions so any help on any of the questions would be much appreciated. I have a 55Gallon fish tank with black tahiti moon substrate with a TopFin 60 double filtration system.

1. For airation of the tank i have a powerhead. Not sure which one but i think its the top-fin 550 powerhead. It sends bubbles flying all over the place and isnt really in the way of anything. Is this all i need in regards to keeping the tank airated?

2. What are normal levels for Ammonia and Nitrate? I have a testing kit for pH, Nitrate, Ammonia, Salt level etc.. but i dont know what to do for those two i asked about.

3. I have had this tank running for about a week now and the pH in the water which i have tested EVERY day is just right for the fish i want to get(BGK's). Is it ready to hold fish? The temp and pH is perfect for the fish i want.

ammonia should be at 0ppm and nitrate should be kept under 40ppm

as long as your ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes are all good then you would be good to go

After your levels are ok, make sure you start off with just a few fish. You want to establish the biological colony in your filter before putting alot of fish in. And dont be surprised if your ammonia and nitrite levels shoot up, after you add the fish. They will go back down once the colony starts filtering.

you should read the sticky under the getting started forum about fishless cycling it should be ableto answer all of your questions

good luck

Back
Top Bottom