tank stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhosking

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm planning to start a 20 gallon long tank (I haven't bought it yet and I could fit up to a 40 gallon but It's my first big tank so I want to stay around 20-30 gallons). I want to put in sand about 2 inches thick on the bottom and some rocks, driftwood, and mostly fake plants (I might try a moss ball). I know that I need to cycle the tank before stocking it.

So I was wondering if I could put 6-8 Kuhli Loaches in with 1 male Dwarf Gourami and possibly a school tetras or something else. Can I keep these fish together? I have read they are compatible but I want to hear from people who have done it or know someone who did. Also, would this be too many fish for a 20 gallon long? I really want Kuhli Loaches so I will get a bigger tank if that is what they need. Would I need to siphon the sand? I'm afraid I might hurt one of the Kuhli's.

I'm planning to start a 20 gallon long tank (I haven't bought it yet and I could fit up to a 40 gallon but It's my first big tank so I want to stay around 20-30 gallons). I want to put in sand about 2 inches thick on the bottom and some rocks, driftwood, and mostly fake plants (I might try a moss ball). I know that I need to cycle the tank before stocking it.

So I was wondering if I could put 6-8 Kuhli Loaches in with 1 male Dwarf Gourami and possibly a school tetras or something else. Can I keep these fish together? I have read they are compatible but I want to hear from people who have done it or know someone who did. Also, would this be too many fish for a 20 gallon long? I really want Kuhli Loaches so I will get a bigger tank if that is what they need. Would I need to siphon the sand? I'm afraid I might hurt one of the Kuhli's.

Get the biggest tank you can from the beginning...You will have so many more options in the long run!!

Thumper's right, because a large tank means a small mistake isn't a big deal, because the amount of water dilutes the chemicals. But in a 5 gallon tank, perhaps, levels are much harder to control. And yes, those fish are okay. For tetras, most are good and pretty peaceful, but serpae tetras are known to be nippy. I really like bloodfin tetras personally.

this is a great stock. in fact, you may be able to add a little bit more. I've had experience with all of these fish. Make sure you quarentine your gourami for extra long. one gourami I had got a disease that i was unaware of and died in a few days.

I am in agreement about getting the bigger tank size first. You won't regret going bigger but if you get smaller than you want it's pretty costly to upgrade.

The stocking list sounds just fine to me. Also, with sand you don't necessarily need to vac the substrate so you won't have to worry about hurting the loaches. You can just let the gravel vac siphon a little bit above the sand and it'll pick up any detritus.

Check out the 40G breeder tank. I liked mine when I had it easy to reach and move things around, respectably sized and plenty of room for schools of fish, DW plants...

Back
Top Bottom