Tank upgrade and ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCKWESTLA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am very new to the hobby but already hooked and already upgrading tank sizes.**I am upgrading my very newly set up and cycled reef tank. My currently running tank is a 50 gallon reef with a 20 gallon sump. I have about 50lbs of LR in the old DT and 13lbs of small (crushed coral) size LR in the sump. I have another 40lbs of base rock that I would like to use for the foundation of my aquascape for my new tank.**I have purchased and am prepping my new 80 gallon tank.

Here is my situation, in my old tank I am experiencing a brown algae bloom and some of my fish have Ick. I was planning on moving all my LR and coral and invertebrates into a garbage can, then treating the fish and Live Sand in the old tank with a copper treatment. My question is, does ick live in live sand, filters, sponges, or live rock? I definitely do not want to expose my new tank to Ich.

I also want to reduce the chance of a cycle in my new tank because I really love my livestock, including my Maxima Clam. I want redo my aquascape, using some of my LR, but I am wondering if I shouldn't because of the brown algae some of the pieces have one it. Lastly, I want to cut saw some of my LR pieces and use them in a different way, is it possible to do this with them being live?

Sorry, I know this is a lot, but I could really use some input.

OH and lastly, recommendations for a skimmer would be great.

Alright I am off to go get and RO/DI unit.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're probably going to get several different suggestions but I'd effectively use your new tank as a quarantine tank and leave all (live rock, sand, corals and inverts) but the fish as is in your existing tank. Ich has a 4 to 6 week life cycle and you only see it on the fish in its last stage. I would remove the fish from your old tank, give them about a 5 to 7 minute freshwater dip and then move the fish only into the new tank. Treat your food with garlic that enhances natural resistance (not sure that has ever been proved). If you don't see any new signs of ich in 3 or 4 days I would begin to add new live rock to the new tank (your going to need some new do to the increase in size). I would not use any copper or other medicines that may leave a residue that is harmful to inverts or corals. If all goes well you can move the contents of your existing tank over in 6 weeks. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you very much I like that idea but do you think instead of using my new tank as a quarantine tank I could put my fish in some other container and treat them with copper there

Yes, you can definitely do that. That is the traditional (and imo best) way to do it. However, I think you need to be prepared to keep them in quarantine for 4-6 weeks and most don't have QTs big enough to treat a full tank of fish. Most QTs tanks are for one or two new fish at a time. How many fish do you have?

Btw, marine depot makes a line oh good quality reasonably priced skimmers under the AquaMaxx name. Skimmers are not the place to skimp on money so get a good one that is rated for at least 125g tank. There are a lot of other good and bad choices out there but it is generally an area where you get what you pay for.

I would move everything but your fish into the new tank. Leave that fallow for 8 weeks (Ich can live longer than six weeks. That tank being fallow will effectively eliminate Ich in that tank, so you will be adding fish into a "clean" environment.

I would leave your fish in the old tank and either go with copper or Hyposalinity for treatment, as those are the only two proven methods of curing Ich.

Going this route ensures you are adding Ich-free fish into an Ich-free tank. It also lets you get the new tank all set up before adding fish. If you go the other way, you are adding sand, rock, etc into the new tank with the fish already in there, which will stress them and you have to be extra careful not to crush any.

QT future additions before adding into the new tank and you should be good to go.

I'm not against the garlic, but there really is no scientific research to back that it boosts immunity in fish. My take is that it probably makes food attractive, fish eat which builds strength and that helps the immune system.

Thanks! That is exactly what I just picked up, per skimmer. I was going to use a 10-15 gallon plastic storage tub to treat the fish.

Btw, marine depot makes a line oh good quality reasonably priced skimmers under the AquaMaxx name. Skimmers are not the place to skimp on money so get a good one that is rated for at least 125g tank. There are a lot of other good and bad choices out there but it is generally an area where you get what you pay for.

I would move everything but your fish into the new tank. Leave that fallow for 8 weeks (Ich can live longer than six weeks. That tank being fallow will effectively eliminate Ich in that tank, so you will be adding fish into a "clean" environment.

I would leave your fish in the old tank and either go with copper or Hyposalinity for treatment, as those are the only two proven methods of curing Ich.

Going this route ensures you are adding Ich-free fish into an Ich-free tank. It also lets you get the new tank all set up before adding fish. If you go the other way, you are adding sand, rock, etc into the new tank with the fish already in there, which will stress them and you have to be extra careful not to crush any.

QT future additions before adding into the new tank and you should be good to go.

I'm not against the garlic, but there really is no scientific research to back that it boosts immunity in fish. My take is that it probably makes food attractive, fish eat which builds strength and that helps the immune system.

+1 except the old substrate unless you are willing to clean it thoroughly which is a pain. I would use new substrate in new tank which will slowly be inhabited with bb. The old LR should be good enough in new tank with corals. I would prefer a hyposalinity treatment than copper. Turn down lights in old tank with fish to get rid of nuisance algae. No need to use garlic during treatment. It does slows down ich but its effectiveness depends on how stress your fish are.

Back
Top Bottom