Tank Water Change Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coreyfleming

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gallon, freshwater tank. In the past when I did a water change, I would suction the water out at the gravel level, inlcuding digging down into the gravel. I always thought that this was a very effective way to remove old food and waste from the tank. I have now added several plants to the tank and I'm afraid of hurting their roots.

Was my past method of digging into the gravel overkill? Is just suctioning water from the gravel level an effective enough means to change the water and do a little cleaning as well?

As long as your not over feeding them and there is decaying food matter throughout your gravel I really don't see the need to be digging in your gravel if you have a gravel vac. Vacuuming the surface of the gravel should be good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I agree with Tim... a 50-50 helps prevent prevent the shock that can come from changing it all at once...

I also just vacuum on top of the gravel and never dig in...sometimes when you slightly swirl the gravel vac, some yucky stuff will start floating and you can vacuum it then.

You need to go into the gravel with the gravel vac, that is the whole point. All that nasty debris you pull out is future nitrate and phosphate. It can also increase dissolved organic compounds, lower water quality, and even provide a haven for pathogens and toxic bacteria.

Just don't vacuum right up to plants, vacuum the open areas well though.

I agree....you gotta get the nasties out of the gravel. If you let it build up, you're just askin for trouble down the road.

I also agree with Fishguy. You have no idea the crap (haha!) that gets stuck in the gravel. IMO skimming the surface just isn't enough.. Like he said, though, just be wary of where your plants are.

I usually stir up the gravel so there's stuff floating everywhere then do the water change. Everything floating gets sucked up and goes straight down the sink. The remaining stuff I let settle ontop of the gravel and get it with an eheim vacuum after the water change. I change 50% each week.

You should be digging and stirring up the gravel with the vac. Just staay about 2-3 inches away from the plants and make sure you get under the rocks. If you look under the tank with a flashlight you should be able to see the places you vacuumed and the places you didn't. IMO you should try not to stir up the crap cause then you end up missing alot.

Back
Top Bottom