Tank water just got crystal clear out of the blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay maybe this is just odd or I'm overthinking it, my water has always been a bit hazy as I do have lots of flow and aeration, i have not done anything to the tank for this to happen, water parameters are perfect except for the Nitrate as per usual grr lol, should this be something to concern about?

Hi there
Sounds like just to chemistry in your water settling down a lot of new systems will go through this as well, so it's a good thing.[emoji846]

Did you have a canister and recently mess with the media?

Instead of cramming my floss in I layer it in neatly in layers. All the little micro bubbles disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have not touched the tank at all today is my rest week for my water change, I do 3 water changes a month and filter on the 4th, but I haven't even done the filter yet

I have not touched the tank at all today is my rest week for my water change, I do 3 water changes a month and filter on the 4th, but I haven't even done the filter yet

Do you use dechlorinator? Have you changed brands or dosing in any way?

Nope I went down to test the water before my filter cleaning and I was like da heck lol, I use prime and do a pwc weekly, my nitrates are through the roof again and it's aggravating the heck out of me, I might vac the 50% gravel I know you said nitrates aren't a big deal but it just aggrivates me, could high nitrates mean my tank isn't or hasn't cycled properly even though my ammonia and nitrite are 0, tanks been up 4 years

I did have to over feed for the last week trying to get my angel to eat im sure that's probably the issue 3 small feedings a day and bloodworms every other

Maybe do 20% tonight and 20% Wednesday to get the un eaten food out

Nope I went down to test the water before my filter cleaning and I was like da heck lol, I use prime and do a pwc weekly, my nitrates are through the roof again and it's aggravating the heck out of me, I might vac the 50% gravel I know you said nitrates aren't a big deal but it just aggrivates me, could high nitrates mean my tank isn't or hasn't cycled properly even though my ammonia and nitrite are 0, tanks been up 4 years

I did have to over feed for the last week trying to get my angel to eat im sure that's probably the issue 3 small feedings a day and bloodworms every other

It sounds as though your tank is a little unstable. Like mine is now after I restarted it.

How do you clean the tank? Filter sponges etc. Prime is a dechlorinator too but are you sure you are using enough. I have also been making that mistake recently. Chloramines/chlorine is harmful to fish and your bacteria colony.

Nitrates directly are not as harmful as are made out to be. There is no evidence that suggests otherwise for the type of fish we keep (try to find it). When you have high nitrates though you have lots of input or not enough dilution of pollutants via water changes. Lots of input (or bioload) means the tank is going at full speed with nitrification and decomposition. Both processes are taxing on the oxygen and alkalinity content and pollute the water with dissolved solids quicker.

If you don't have a lot of live plants and don't change the water on a regular basis the tank will become dirty very quickly. As the saying goes 'dilution is the solution to pollution' cheesy as hell but very true and relevant to our hobby.

I gravel vac 1/3 of the substrate weekly very thoroughly where nothing else will come up, i siphon out 20 gallons of water, i use 2.2ml prime for the 20 gallons I put back in the tank, I clean the filters once a month or every 1 1/2 months in fish water when I do my water change, I do have live plants that I trimmed yesterday where snails are eating then even though the snails are low now I still had to hand pick a few off the plants, I trimmed the dead leaves, yesterday I did 70% gravel 25 gallons water used 2.8ml prime

I gravel vac 1/3 of the substrate weekly very thoroughly where nothing else will come up, i siphon out 20 gallons of water, i use 2.2ml prime for the 20 gallons I put back in the tank, I clean the filters once a month or every 1 1/2 months in fish water when I do my water change, I do have live plants that I trimmed yesterday where snails are eating then even though the snails are low now I still had to hand pick a few off the plants, I trimmed the dead leaves, yesterday I did 70% gravel 25 gallons water used 2.8ml prime

How many gallons is this tank again?

Back
Top Bottom