Tankmates for a Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Matt_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, new member here! I hope this is the right sub forum to put this topic in.

I was just wondering what fish I could add to my tank. I have a 5 year old blue gourami in the 45 gallon tank right now. I wasn’t looking for mollies, neons, guppies, etc; but if you have any other idea as to what I could add, I would appreciate it!

Less - nippy larger small fish like cherry barbs, cory cats, plecos around bristlenose size. Congo or Emperor tetras would probably work.

Less - nippy larger small fish like cherry barbs, cory cats, plecos around bristlenose size. Congo or Emperor tetras would probably work.

Any centerpiece fish? I was looking to have two.

I figured that was your gourami. If you want more, you can do a trio or quad--add two or three blue gouramis to the tank. The best mix I know is 1 male to multiple females, so you'll want to check whether you have a male or female already.

I figured that was your gourami. If you want more, you can do a trio or quad--add two or three blue gouramis to the tank. The best mix I know is 1 male to multiple females, so you'll want to check whether you have a male or female already.

I was going to have the gourami as a centerpiece, just wondering if there was another large fish that would go well with it. I’ve never had good luck with gourami together, that’s why I only have one. I appreciate your comment nonetheless.

Giant Danios should be alright with a blue gourami. +1 to Congo Tetras, they are a decent size as well.

How many Congo tetras could I fit in the tank if I have that gourami and a bristle nose pleco?

Is the tank planted? In my Gourami experince they are very curious/territorial fish. They will nip at other fish to either see if they are food or to tell them to get away from their area.

Pairing them with other Gouramis are generally ok or very quick/nervous fish that will already try to avoid the gourami. Smaller fish as larger schools should do well.

Every gourami ive had in my rainbow tank has nipped and chased any of bosemani rainbow fish. That includes pearl and three spots. The gouramis never messed with my julii corys however. They also didnt mess with my furcata rainbows much.

Back
Top Bottom