Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 55gal w 13 tiger barbs and a redtail shark. They get along great but was wondering what else and how many other fish I could put in. I was thinking a yoyo loach, some gourami or a firemouth cichlid. Any other ideas?

I would not get a gourami or yoyos with tigers they are fin nipping fools. I would get a blue Acara cichlid personally they won't tolerate being nipped and will live great with a RTS. Or you could do a Firemouth cichlid they do well with those tankmates to.

With 13 barbs they should be fairly docile. They are much less aggressive in large groups. I still wouldn't get any long finned fish. Some rainbowfish would probably go well with them. I use this compatibility chart to get a basic idea of tankmates for a fish and then I will do extra research to hone in exactly what I want.
Freshwater & Brackish Compatibility Chart
In my experience Gouramis have been fine with barbs. You would think the gouramis' whiskers would be enticing, but I have never had a barb bite one off.

If you do decide on rainbowfish, look at pictures of the adults before you choose. The younger fish are usually not very colorful, but the adults are beautiful.

Even when I have kept a large group with a gourami they have tore them up. Just IMe with them.

Scratch the yoyo loaches and get the skunk loaches. Both have the same temperament and should make for a fun tank.

David

Back
Top Bottom