Tanks and filters... change of plans... questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengoshi2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
So... my plans to put 4-5 Dwarf Puffers in my now cycled 29g tank have changed... mainly due to the lack of Dwarf Puffers here in NC. But I HAVE sourced a pair of DP's from a well-known member of this forum. So here's what I'm going to do, and I want to know if my plan passes logical muster:

I'm going to move the filter (AC50) from the 29 to an empty 10 I have (along with a fair bit of the substrate, pfs, and most of the decorations) and see if I can get by without a mini-cycle.

I have two Whisper 10-30i filters that I acquired along the way. I'm going to set those up in the 29g.

1) Is the AC50 overkill for a 10g tank with a pair of Dwarf Puffers? I know the flow is adjustable and I'm sure I'll dial it back. I just don't want them blowing around the tank.

2) Are the 10-30i filters any good? Lots of decent reviews on major pet store websites (and WallyMart) but I want some "real world" reviews from the folks here at AA. Has anyone tried modifying these for more/better biological filtration? Like adding ceramic rings/pellets meant for an AquaClear?

I'd definitely turn down the flow all the way, but I'm still not sure it wouldn't be too much flow for puffers in a 10g.

No idea on the filters.

only thing i would worry about the ac 50 is i am not sure how far the intake goes down into the water. 10 gallons is short. you can add a sponge on the intake to help slow down the flow a little more if you wanted.

i am not a fan of any hobs other then the aquaclears.... i have many tanks so i stick to one kind and i have found ac in my mind to be superior to any other hob out there. they never seem to break. they have lots of media options..... on the other hand if you have the other ones use them. i would replace them over time but its not like its going to hurt the tank or anything. i believe there room in there you can shove a couple pot scrubbers back there.

It looks like the intake of the AC50 will be within 3-4 inches of the bottom of the 10g (sans substrate). I will likely cut a couple of inches off the intake tube to give enough clearance. I'll probably add a sponge to the intake as well to reduce the flow of the AC50.

I went ahead and put one of the Whisper 10-30i's in the 29 last nite to try to get some bb built up. I noticed that the "bio-bags" can be opened. I think I might dump out the carbon (not really needed from what I've read) and maybe lightly stuff it with some filter floss or somesuch.

Probably will eventually pick up an AC70 for this 29.

Any other advice?

Just make sure that the intake tube will still fit the U-tube. I've also seen attachments that skim the surface of the tank instead of going down into the tank. Just another option to consider.

+1 on getting rid of the carbon. Filter floss, lava rock, pot scrubbers, or ceramic biomedia are good replacements.

I love the AC70 on my 29g. It does a great job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom