TaoTronics light question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bduni50

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting to think about upgrading to LEDs. I have heard great things about these lights. Question is, is one panel enough for a 36" tank or should I get 2?

Unless you hang it pretty high up. If you don't mind it about 2 feet above your tank, it will light the entire thing. The fixture is rectangular, so it will cover more long ways than it will width-wise, but it will not be 100% effective on the outer edges. You could put lower light stuff on the outer edges and sps towards the center.

Ok thanks, think I will need a bigger canopy to raise it to at least 12". I will try one, if I'm not happy I will get another down the road. Those t5 get super hot!! For a 130 bucks you can't beat them!!!

Ok thanks, think I will need a bigger canopy to raise it to at least 12". I will try one, if I'm not happy I will get another down the road. Those t5 get super hot!! For a 130 bucks you can't beat them!!!

Uh-oh, you're paying $130 for a Tao panel right now? The eBay ones are going for <$100 at the moment!

I keep one over my 48" tank
it's about 10" off the surface and covers almost the whole tank except about 3" on either side ,
it's pretty well lite and my coral seems to do well

EDIT:

the single light gives me enough light for softie's and LPS
but if you wanted to keep SPS you would need the second light

img_2975522_0_2a9409e81512d301ef2bde02176d7911.jpg

I have two of them in my 55. Great lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks folks. Payday I'm ordering them.

I have 2 above my 48"x24" 75gal they're about 6-8" above the water ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404187123.192042.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404187438.269011.jpg. On high. No corals. They are great. Not $500

Use the dimmer. And watch the whites.

I heard since these lights aren't UL listed they aren't safe to put close to the water. Has anyone had issues with shocks like some of the reviews said? I was leaning towards these but ended up going with the orbit marine 48 inch instead.

Fish are people too!!!

No electronics are safe close to water unless they are waterproof. There's not a fixture out there that you can trust for this purpose. UL listed has nothing to do with it. It simply means they were made overseas and quality checked by them, and not Underwriters Laboratories.
The orbits are quite limited. You can't keep sps under them and anemones are questionable.

Yeah I found that out after purchasing. For now the orbits are on the tank since it will be FOWLR to begin with, but will switch lights before start getting corals and such. So what would be the best recommendation for a hooded tank then. I like the orbits because they don't produce much heat, and since I don't have a huge amount of ventilation in the hood. Do you think the tao's will work well?

Fish are people too!!!

I use them. They work quite well over my tank, but for a tank with a hood I don't think this is the right choice, unless the hood is quite tall. What size tank are we talking about and how much space is under the hood? there's also the option of cutting a rectangular hole(s) in the top of the hood and sitting the fixture(s) on top.

I would cut 2 holes in the top of your hood and sit the fixtures on top. Cut the holes slightly smaller than the fixtures and you won't need any sort of hanging kit.

Unfortunately, cutting the holes will force you to have to manually remove the fixtures when opening the hood, unless you use some straps or something to affix the fixtures to the lid so when you open it up to feed, they won't slide off.....but then you will be blinded while you do your tank maintenance.
Also, if you go this route, I would suggest buying units with 120 degree optics, so you can evenly light the entire tank with no shadowing in the corners or middle. I would hold the lights about as high as the hood first to make sure they are far enough away before cutting the holes.

Back
Top Bottom