Tap Water and Chlorine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquazan

Aquarium Advice Regular
DEAR DETECTIVES OF THE FW AQUARIUM WORLD!! :p:thanks::thanks:

I have a freshwater planted tank (75 Gallons), and I use top fin dechlorinator, the kind where 1 ml will treat 10 Gallons, I use the Aqueon Water changer which hooks up directly to the faucet and allows direct water supply. I am worried that when I pour/drip the dechlorinator into the water, 7.5-8 mls will not disperse enough to come into contact with all the chlorine. Can someone tell me if my worries are true?

Also, I have copper pipes, I am worried that this might have caused the deaths of some of my neon tetras, it could also be the fact that I dose 4-5 times the tank volume in dechlorinator, I have read that extra doesnt hurt, but that was for the people who only added like a bit extra. I add extra to make sure no Chlorine "survives".

SOMEONE please help!! Will dechlorinator keep on circulating until it touches chlorine? SHould I add extra since I am not mixing it in a bucket first? :thanks: :fish2::confused:

The rule with de-cholrinator is if you're adding water directly to the tank to add an amount necessary to treat the full tank, not just the amount of water you're replacing.

Ok, So I should add 7.5 ml to a 75 gallon tank? It just feels like it wont neutralize the chlorine because it wont come into contact with it. Will it? Is adding more than 7.5 Ml necessary?

Correct. You can double up if you have concerns but in my experience you'll be safe.

I used to pour prime into my tank, fill it with water from the tap then wait for 60 minutes before restarting the filter as I was afraid chlorine would get into my filters and suddenly dissolve my bacteria. It doesn't work like that however and now I just put in prime, fill the tank and start the filter and everything is fine.

I do understand your concern but unless you notice your tank is forever recycling I would say you'll be fine.

Make sure your dechlorinator specifically references heavy metals in it's uses, if it doesn't your wasting your time treating a potential copper problem with it. You can purchase an API Copper test kit to check your tank and tap water to satisfy yourself though.

Thanks Cynic! So the dechlorinator will not become neutralized if you pour it into already dechlorinated water? I always thought if you put it into the tank first, it will just be waste, and that you should pour it into chlorinated water for it to be used.

I am using Top Fin dechlorinator and it doesn't say anything about Heavy Metals, so I will be switching Probably to Prime ( Ive heard a lot of good things about it) or API Stress Coat, not sure yet. Suggestions?

I will just put in like 8- 9 ML's for a water change from now on, thanks again. You have no idea how much this helps! :D My fish are in your debt

Just acquire Prime if you can. Unpleasant smell but very concentrated so cost effective and chemically effective.

Back
Top Bottom