Tap water has nitrates!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so, I tested my tap for nitrates with the api master kit and it says I have 5-10ppm. Is this something to worry about?

Fishobsessed7

No tap water has a bunch of stuff in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

freshwater fish, naw, no big deal
saltwater fish, again, no big deal
coral and some inverts, could be a problem, but unlikely. (ideally you wouldn't be using tap for a reef anyway)

main issue is that when doing a water change, you are adding the primary thing you want to remove, so it's kinda counterproductive.

Nitrates in tap water is a fairly common issue. I would not be too concerned but just realize that keeping your nitrate levels under control will take a bit more work than someone using tap water with zero nitrates.

My city water runs at an average of 7ppm nitrate (under the EPA legal limit of 10ppm) thus I change more water, more often. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is unfortunate that you have any nitrates in your water, but 5-10ppm is not enough to throw off too much. Just remember that instead of halving your nitrates when you do a 50% water change, you are only lowering nitrates by much less of an amount. For example, lets say your 20g tank has 40ppm of nitrAtes and you figure, you must do a 50% water change to bring levels down to 20ppm. However, in a case with 10ppm in tap water, you would have to do a 75% or so water change, or 2x 50% water changes, to bring the same result.

Back
Top Bottom