Tap water testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keilso

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Apologies, if this is a daft question.

When testing your tap water for Hardness, Ph etc. do you test cold, hot, both or a mix at close to your tank temperature?

I didn't think it mattered. This may seem unimaginative, but I've assumed that if it's safe for me, it's safe for my fish. Is there something I should be doing? BTW, I think I've talked the family CFO into a nice RO unit. :dance:

I didn't think it mattered. This may seem unimaginative, but I've assumed that if it's safe for me, it's safe for my fish. Is there something I should be doing? BTW, I think I've talked the family CFO into a nice RO unit. :dance:
Even in countries that has potable tap water it might possibly contain ammonia or nitrate. In small doses not an issue to humans, but can cause issues for fish and the cycle. Small amounts of ammonia shouldn't present a problem to an aquarium with good filtration as it will quickly cycle out.

Also tap water might be very acidic or alkaline which may need dealing with depending on what you keep.

In countries that doesnt have potable drinking supply, ammonia could be very high for instance.

In answer to the OPs query though, i dont think it matters what temp you test at. If im wrong then that would be useful info to me too.

Then, just for giggles, I'll do some supplemental testing and hope there's nothing to be concerned about. Thanks Aiken as usual and Keilso may you and your fish drink safely. :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom