TDS at 16ppm. Is that ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wondering if a TDS reading of 16-18ppm is alright. My tap water is absolutely horrid at 560-580ppm.

I just checked my TDS after the membrane but BEFORE the DI. Getting a reading of 36ppm. That works out to a 94-95% rejection considering feed water is going in at 560-580

Now looking at my DI closer, I'd say its close to 80-85% exhausted. I know I'll need to replace it, but am I depleting my DI resin prematurely with my TDS at 36ppm going in to it?

Whats normal. Or is this just "My" normal seeing my feed water is so poor.

I cant see anything else wrong, is 16ppm safe to use?

TIA

With a FOWLR you'd probably be OK, but for a reef, 16-18 TDS is not good.

I have 450-500 tap TDS, and my RO is 3-4 TDS before going into the DI canisters. So, yes, 36 TDS will definitely deplete your DI resin quicker. It sounds like you are due for a complete filter change, not just the RO membrane. Before the RO you should have a sediment & carbon cartridge... if you have high chlorine in your water, or you make a lot of RODI, your carbon may be depleted. If this is the case, chlorine may be getting to your RO membrane, which is very bad for it.

Hmmmm, I did I complete filter change and membrane before filling my 80gal a month ago. Could I have a bum membrane?

Certainly a possibility, but rather unlikely....... Where are you buying them from?

I should also mention that a have a 5 micron, and 2x carbon filters before the membrane

Similar set-up to mine.... You're not going to have burnt up 2 carbons in 1 month.

Short of having a bad membrane, it comes down to flow. What system do you have (brand & gpd rating), and do you happen to know what your water pressure is coming into the system?? About the only thing I can currently think of off the top of my head is that if you don't have enough pressure, the membrane isn't getting rinsed/flushed properly.

Also, an improper sized flow restrictor on the waste line can cause problems.

Are you letting the unit run for a few minutes before testing TDS after RO..... When mine first starts, it will read up around 50-75, but work it's way down to 3-4 after a couple/few minutes.

Last edited:
My RO unit is made by Aquasafe. And the filters and membrane kit I bought off Amazon and are purenex Purenex 2C-S-IM100 100 Gpd Purenex Residential 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System Set - Amazon.com

I'm thinking its a crappy membrane ( think it said Hydrotek on it and came with the amazon kit) my last membrane was 5 years old (Applied Membranes Inc.) and even when my DI resin was depleted I still got 3-4ppm TDS.

I'm guessing my flow restrictor should be the right one since my last membrane was 100gpd aswell. Now my decision is do I just get a new QUALITY membrane or a completely new kit? This Spectrapure refurbs are looking pretty good......

I have a storage tank and my reading there is 16ppm. I'll let my water run for a bit and test again straight from the membrane after a couple minutes to see if I still get 36ppm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom