tearing down sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cholbert

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok i started a 10g sw tank and its coming up on 2 weeks of cycleing with amonia drops. everything is good but just dont have the money for a sw yet. a friend started his tank and he wanted the rock out of mine ( not live ). the rock is a really light pumuce looking stuff and its not cycled all the way yet. when i give it to him since ive been using pure amonia to cycle mine and hes using damsels i believe to cycle his. will i need to soak the rocks in somthing beofre putting it into his tank or will it be ok to just add. hes doing fowlr setup but he has no rock in his. just decorations and i told him he needs more surface area for the bacteria. i believe his is 46g bowfront. im only giving him roughly 11 lbs of this rock. i just dont want to poison his fish but just putting it in if its still got trace amonia on it without soaking if i need to

What kind of rock is it that you have? If it's not live rock, what did you purchase it as?
If it's just some mined dry base rock, there is nothing in it to cycle. Live rock will cycle a tank because of the die off from all the dead/dying creatures in/on the rock. You need organic matter to decay for a cycle and dry "base rock" has none. He can just throw it in his tank. It won't affect his cycle.

i wanna say its a 4 letter word on name of rock lol cant remember i have cocktail shrimp in it starting to rot. but i started with 3 drops of amonia per day for first week just to start while waiting for the stuff to start to decay. it was dry clean rock that looked like it had never seen water. got it out of tub on the shelf. very pumice looking. full of indents and holes and very light. the tank has an amonia reading of little under 1 right now and i just started seeing nitrate yesterday. so its just starting to grow bacteria. just didnt know if the amonia would stick to the rock and then poison his tank by raising his amonia to fast for the 3 little fish he has in his 46 bowfront

The ammonia will be in the water and not on the rocks. If you want to be careful you (or he) could rinse the rocks with some saltwater or with some ro/di water before he puts them in his tank. I think it will be fine without rinsing though.

Back
Top Bottom