Tell me about apistogramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Came across some apistogramma at my lfs. I was wanting to know some basic information about these dwarf cichlids. Are they peaceful? Should they be in pairs? Do they need caves? Are they good community fish like Rams? Please include more information if you can!

Came across some apistogramma at my lfs. I was wanting to know some basic information about these dwarf cichlids. Are they peaceful? Should they be in pairs? Do they need caves? Are they good community fish like Rams? Please include more information if you can!

Apistogramma are small South American cichlids that stay under 4". Most prefer soft acidic water, some species are more adaptable than others. They tend to be peaceful unless protecting young. Some species do best in pairs others do better in harems. Depends on the species. They do like caves and many species will prefer them. Along with lots of other hiding spots and plants (plastic or live). They can be great additions to a community setup of the stock and water is right. These are my favorite fish out there.

Apistogramma are small South American cichlids that stay under 4". Most prefer soft acidic water, some species are more adaptable than others. They tend to be peaceful unless protecting young. Some species do best in pairs others do better in harems. Depends on the species. They do like caves and many species will prefer them. Along with lots of other hiding spots and plants (plastic or live). They can be great additions to a community setup of the stock and water is right. These are my favorite fish out there.

Thanks for the info. Which apistogramma could be kept in a pair, thrive in a 30 gallon planted tank that already houses two Rams, and are hardy?

Back
Top Bottom