Temp help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AqUaNoOb86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 280 gal is too hot right now at about 85-86(Just look at where I'm from and you'll stop asking yourself why:lol:). Any tricks to lower temps in the mean time until I get a chiller? I know I've used ice in a bag before on my 10 gal but this seems impractical with the 280...Thanks

Cooling fans blowing across the top. Causes quicker evaporation but can drop you a few degrees.

Hey...someone out in my area! I have a 75g and had to buy a chiller. The fan trick helped a bit, but I was still throwing in frozen water bottles after work every day. That cooled it down, but caused temp fluctuations of more than two degrees, which is not good. Beyond running your AC really low, fans are probably your best bet.

Hey Todd, ya this weather sure makes it tough to run these big tanks. It's either run the A.C. super cold and have a huge bill or go buy an expensive chiller! I'm hoping it starts to cool down soon cuz I dont know how much these little guys can take. The tank is cycling right now with just a few damsels in it(I heard these are amongst the hardiest of fish) so I'm hoping they'll be fine. Anyway, thanks for the advice and I'll give it a shot. I'm in mountain gate btw if you ever want to come check out the tanks. I could def benefit from any knowledge you have since I'm totally lost on most of this stuff! Thanks again

Keep an eye on Craigslist for chillers. Not much out this way, but OC or San Bernardino/Inland Empire areas usually have something. It's getting down to 100 now, so another month or so and we'll be better with the heat.

Big tanks are expensive. I want to go 200-300g next year, but gotta convince the wife to allow the expense. Aquarium Odyssey had a used 300g and she said "too big".

Ya I've noticed that. Not much of anything out here as far as aquariums go. That 300gal is still sitting at aquarium odyssey but it's sold. thats about how big mine is just a few inches slimmer. You've got to convince the wife:lol: lots of great deals out there.

Back
Top Bottom