Temp homes for my fish.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john73738

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

Moving next month, the tanks are the last to go and the fish are being moved in 10 gal rubbermaid tubs.

Now the fish from my 75 I am beginning a DIY project on will be living there until I complete the project. I have a marineland canister filter that I will modify the intake and return to be able to use in multiple tubs.

Has anyone done this and how long would the fish last, or should I get larger tubs.

Thanks Bear

It really depends on the dimensions of the tub. I hope this filter is off a cycled tank so it containes good bacteria. If it is a sufficient size they can live in there. If they are cichlids then they need territory dividers if they are gonna be in there for a period of time, just put some cave decor in the tub and that will be good. I would be nervous about rigging it to multiple tanks, the motor is probably not going to be powerful enough.

It is dangerous to run multiple outlets/inlets in a "bank". The flows won't balance & you will flood &/or empty a tub.

The only way to use one filter for multiple tub setup is if you connect all the tubs. You can use siphons (but that is risky, you will flood if any siphon fails), or better yet, use bulkheads & pipes to connect all the tubs in series, then take water from the last tub & return to the first tub to get circulation to all the tubs. Bulkheads are fairly expensive, so this is prob not worth it for a temporary arrangement. Perhaps it is better for you to get a bigger tub (like a 40 or 50 gal) & put dividers in ... although that would be rather heavy to move....

Back
Top Bottom