Test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ComMizz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just ordered an API fresh water master test kit. Can i use this for my salt water tank also. If not what is a really good inexpensive kit that i can get. Thank you very much

Tetra Laborett Master Aquarium Water Test Kit I see this kit on walmart.com is this good for saltwater or no.

The cheaper you go, the less accurate you can expect the measurements to be, that's how i look at it anyways.

API's are good test kits for a decent price. I use them myself. Only thing is.. i'm not too sure, but i think you can use the Freshwater test kit to test those basic things like Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrites, but i think the Freshwater version has pH and not high-range pH which is what you want for saltwater, someone correct me if i'm wrong. I used a freshwater API test kit back when i had my 55G and everything tested correctly. I compared my results to a brand new saltwater API test kit and all tests came back the same so i'm pretty sure you can use for freshwater test kits.

Ok so i should be able to use it for both my fresh and salt

Nope the colors are diffrent as are the solutions for the tests fresh to salt
I use the api test kits for salt and sailfert for my ca, etc that dont come in the standard api kit ... I run other tests as I have a reef so I need more perameters than you would with FOWLR ;)

Really? Because the colors on my freshwater API test kit for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are the same as the saltwater test kit. Just saying..

I forget which one is diffrent the cards are 2 totally diffrent colors I think it was the nitrIte or the PH not sure tho call api ... Now I am going to give this disclaimer they may have since change the colors to be uniform because this was over 5 years ago when I started ... But a toll free call should clear up the question here ... API is a good kit and not all that difficult to use either . Dang gone I wish I remembered 100% which test it is tho

Ok so im lost. Lol i am sorry but are you saying the fresh water kit i bought can only be used for freshwater? if so what is a good kit to get for salt

The kits for Fresh and Salt are the same solutions, you just need to get your hands on a set of color cards for saltwater.

Thanks for clearing that up. Any idea where to get the chart.
Tetra Laborett Master Aquarium Water Test Kit Have you ever heard of this kit. Would it work for salt

Just be aware that the water line on the supplied tubes is generally not actually at the required 5ml mark. You should get a graduated dropper from the pharmacy to insure you are testing the correct amount of sample water.

That's one of the reasons I use the Salifert kits for Ca, NO3, Alk, Mg. They come with graduated syringes and have a sharp color change to let you know what your reading is.

The only place I can think of for a set of cards is a new API Saltwater Master Test Kit, so not much help there. I have had numerous bad experiences with tetra products and I now stray from them, but you can get it if you want, just read reviews all over the internet and see what people say.

Back
Top Bottom