Test kits - trust em?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinxBolling

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm curious about something - I keep reading articles about folks adding this and that to their aquariums based on the results of test kits. My basic question is: how reliable are they(test kits)?
I realize this is anecdotal - but I have a buddy of mine that is a chemist and another friend that is a micro-biologist and they often talk about the amazing detail required to get accurate test results in their work. My point is: are we really sure that we are A) testing properly? B) that the variance/margin of error of these kits is low enough? C) Has anyone compared results of a home kit with a local lab to confirm their reliability?
I know the marketing materials with the kits will tell you they are accurate; but . . . . are we sure??

When you start to lean your fish and how they act they are always the first tell sign of everything, but you wont always know what it is till you have a test kit tell you.

I trust mine to tell me if something is wrong. But I'm not sure what I would add to my tank based on a test. Are you talking about salt water?

I trust the results from the API Master Kits but have little trust in the strips. Of course I make sure I follow the instructions TO THE LETTER when I use them and that the test materials are not outdated.

If done correctly, the test results are good. I did bring a sample to our local lab (I work in the water/wastewater industry so have an "in" with the lab down the street). Their test results matched my API master kit results. Can't argue with that.

THAT is helpful! I just dont trust what the slogans or advertisting for products say - so, Ive always wondered how accurate they would be if one compared them to professional lab results

Back
Top Bottom