Test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

w8tah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks:

My 10 Gallon Tetra tank is going quite nicely in my office and my kids just love it. I am going to be bringing my other tannk from home this week and getting it set up as well (its been inactive for over a year) it also will be stocked with basic tropicals (mostly tetras etc) with a few rasboras or something for interest.

I am wondering what kind of water testing etc, i should be doing and if anyone has any recomendations on good test kits etc for me to use. Ideally id like them to be simple (i am a biology / chemistry teacher by training) but i really dont wanna do a full up water analysis (chemical lab type) every week if i can avoid it

it would be really cool if the tests were simple enough for my 5th graders to run so i can let them take part of the maintainance

TIM

Maybe ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate so they monitor the cycle. Then of course PH.

The best and most preferable testing method used on this forum is the Aquarium Pharmacuticals Fresh Water Master Test Kit. YOu can pick it up anywhere, however its cheaper if ordered online from www.drfosterandsmith.com or www.bigalsonline.com. It contains PH (low and high range), ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Those are the most important.

You may want to consider Phosphate and a KH GH test if you have a planted tank or intend to use CO2. These may also come in helpful if you have an algae problem.

These are simple to use regeant tests and the instructions are clear and precise.

Back
Top Bottom