Test strips vs Liquid tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liquid Reagent. I also use Aquarium Pharmecuticals Freshwater Master Test kit. Strips are notorious for being inaccurate.

I'll third the vote for liquid test kits vs strips.
I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kits for GH, KH, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (these are included in their master kit), and phosphate.
Lamotte, Nutrafin, and Red Sea also make liquid kits; I've used the Nutrafin kits, but found their color charts difficult to interpret..

Liquid tests from AP as well. For as infrequently as I test my water, I want accuracy, not convenience.

I use the liquid master kit from ap myself, but have been looking at the hagen fw kit, as it tests for more than the ap kit does. a little more pricey but it might be worth it.

I've used both test strips and liquid reagent tests and while the test strips are usually quicker and more convenient the liquid tests are more accurate and cheaper. I've tried both Aquarium Pharmaceuticals and Hagen liquid tests and found the AP tests difficult to read. I was able to get the Hagen master test kit on sale at a great price which is why I switched to it.

I really don't look for specific figures anymore on the AP kit. I just hold the vials up in the air and if I don't see color variations to the Ammonia or Nitrite, all is good (yellow and blue are simple to spot. The levels higher than 0 are easily distinguishable). If the Nitrate vial is red, then I know that no matter what the reading is, water changes are in order. It's a pretty simple process. It could be 40 or 80, doesn't matter, water changes are needed ASAP. I only look at the value for Nitrate when there is an issue in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom