Tetra missing bottom jaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rianyu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys,

First time poster but reading the forums have helped a bunch in my endeavors in keeping fish.

I've successfully kept 12 neon tetras and 4 plecos in a 30G for a couple months now and ended up trying to place a female betta in the tank. She left the other fish alone aside from feeding time (and then she'd bully her way to the 'front of the line' so to speak).

However, she seemed to have been displaying signs of a parasite (rubbing against rocks, keeping to the bottom on top of other fish staying way away from her) so I quarantined her.

Anyway, as I put her in my hospital tank, I noticed one of my neons seem to be missing its lower jaw? It's still super active and able to eat smaller pieces of food and shoaling with the others, but I am not sure if this may be more than just the betta taking a nibble without my knowledge.

Any advice would help! I have it separated as well just in case (but placed the little temporary 'tank' its in right beside the big one so it can see the others)

Attachments

• IMG_20141202_213236.jpg
    IMG_20141202_213236.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20141202_213312.jpg
    IMG_20141202_213312.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20141202_213318.jpg
    IMG_20141202_213318.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 91
It alright, sorry for how long winded it was. I was just hoping to get some insight on if it may have been disease instead.

Decided to euthanize it today because of the lack of quality of life for the little guy.

Thanks anyway :)

A long time ago one of my tetras lost its bottom jaw because it may have been one of my other fish fighting with it over territory. It wasn't a disease though. I think your beta took bite out of your tetra.

Alright, thanks for the confirmation, makes me feel a bit better about my community tank that I won't have to worry about it being another disease! I will keep my betta in her own tank from now on. Lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom