Tetra swimming diagonally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGtetra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I have 4 diamond flame tetra as part of a community tank (5 serpae tetra, 5 green X-ray tetra, 4 chain loaches/chipmunk bottia). I’ve had these particular fish for about 6 months. 3 of the 4 DF tetra are swimming funny, and have been for a while (signs shown since a few weeks after purchase). They were drip-acclimated to an established tank and, other than living with other tetra, haven’t had a particularly stressful existence while in my care. I wasn’t aware of this forum until today and am so glad to find a space to ask about this! The vendor I got them from has fobbed me off whenever I’ve asked about this issue (I won’t be going back).

When the affected fish move from A to B, they swim in a diagonal position with their nose to the air. It’s like their back ends can’t quite keep up with them. They seem to need to put a bit more effort in to swim this way, but have absolutely no problem swimming about for long periods, feeding at the top of the tank, etc. At rest they float in the normal horizontal position without issue. I can’t see any obvious spine curvature. I do not remember them swimming this way when I bought them. Neither the remaining DF tetra or any other fish in my tank do this. Tank water parameters are fine and the tank is not/has never been at all overstocked

Have I got 3 DF tetras with defects, or should I be treating them for something?

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture of the entire aquarium?

Can you post a 1 minute video of the fish swimming funny?
Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

What do you feed the fish and how often do you feed them?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before you add it to the tank?

What sort of filter is on the aquarium?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture of the entire aquarium?

Can you post a 1 minute video of the fish swimming funny?
Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

What do you feed the fish and how often do you feed them?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before you add it to the tank?

What sort of filter is on the aquarium?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Hi Colin_T, thanks for the welcome and swift response! I’ve attached some photos of the whole aquarium. Working on getting the video sorted as well.

To answer your questions:
1. They’re on a diet of TetraPro multi crisps (soaked in aquarium water before feeding), blood worm, and occasionally cooked peas. Any food not eaten within 20 mins is removed.
2. Fed small amounts of food two to three times a day.
3. My tank does best on a 15% water change every 10 days. I do gravel vac the substrate where possible, some of my substrate isn’t suitable for vacuuming. Water is treated before addition, using a rotation of Stress Coat and Tap Safe.
4. The filter is a Moray 700. The ceramic and foam filters are cleaned monthly in aquarium water per the manufacturer instructions.

Attachments

• 5490F5E3-323D-4D8B-B5D9-95445092F883.jpg
    5490F5E3-323D-4D8B-B5D9-95445092F883.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 6C3E65DA-EF74-4619-BEBB-3370A9314B89.jpg
    6C3E65DA-EF74-4619-BEBB-3370A9314B89.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 13
When you get a video, try to get some footage of the fish reasonably close up, or get a couple of pictures of the fish. They could be deformed from inbreeding and might have internal issues.

Your tank needs a picture on the back and some floating plants to make the fish feel more secure. The picture can be bought at any pet shop, online, or made from coloured card, a plastic bin liner, or even a piece of newspaper. Just something so the back feels like a solid object to the fish.

The floating plants will help reduce the glare off the white substrate and make them feel safer.

Your sword plants are looking a bit pale and might need more light and an iron based aquarium plant fertiliser. I used Sera Florena but there are other brands available. It might be something to look into if the plants aren't doing well.

I’ve recently pared down amount of plants in the tank as the smaller ones, as you have pointed out, were not getting enough light, and it was impacting one the space in which the fish had to swim. I do use plant fertiliser on them and am not concerned about them at this point. I already have some phyllantus fluintans in order to replace the plant cover. I did use a background for my tank up for a while but the fish hated it, they would group in one of the front corners of the tank and didn’t swim freely until I removed the background.

I’m posting more out of concern for the fish. I tried posting a link to my video on this thread but it said my comment was pending approval? I’ll try adding it to this comment as well: https://youtu.be/_0vvA7_o3CQ

Back
Top Bottom