Texas cichlid flashing alot. Every 5 minutes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just thinking game at 30C! See how it goes, we've increased the temp to get through the cycle quicker so it may look worse before it gets better but the meds should be knocking them off.

Tri-sulpha I've never really had any trouble with. Pimafix I've found gives me all sorts of trouble if it isn't mixed well in the tank. No ammonia spike out of interest?

Lol funny u asked about ammonia, I just tested water and came on here to post results, and read your post just now.
Water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: between 5 and 10

Its been 1 1/2 days since inital dose. So it has not affected my filter bacteria yet. I will most likely dose again monday morning though. Im thinking on monday morning, water change first with gravel vac, then dose with tri sulfar.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update:
White spot all gone and none have come back. Quickest cure for white spot ive seen. I only used around half nornal dose, maybe slightly more than half. And kept temp at 27. Beneficial bacteria still good, and catfish still alive.
However, flashing still present in texas cichlid. Maybe something that tri sulfar does not target. Possibly fluke still in water, or maybe still some white spot swimming around.
He is alot more active though...
Still waiting for seachem paraguard to arrive in mail.

Could well be - that is quick but could still be in gills or water as you mention. Good news though. I'd continue on with the meds.

Is he flashing less or just on the gills? Is he madly flashing or more like a careful rub (sorry can't get more technical :) ).

Hmmm more aggressive scratching and shaking. This morning I didnt really see him flash too much.
Its on both sides. Around gill areas. Maybe he got white spot from being stressed by flukes.
I will continue med.
He is alot more active though, thats for sure.
I consider getting rid of white spot with tri sulfar cheating lol
A true aquarist can rid the parasite with salt and temperature.

Lol - I never knew tri sulpha would help despite reading the label quite a few times.

If purely ich, you could go with heat or meds. I've done both (although not often) and they work. The only trouble with heat is it speeds up any secondary infections. The trouble with meds is you are trying to kill the parasites before you kill the fish/good bacteria... Fish-keeping --> such a relaxing hobby :)

Yeah tri sulfar seemed to have worked, and very effectively and quickly. White spot gone, and fish hardly flashing at all. Only used at half dose, twice. I will do a third dose at low levels on Friday for precautionary reasons.
My paraguard has not arrived yet lol. Purchased from ebay.

Yes, it sounds bad but I've taken to ordering off the net to keep a stock of meds. The shops are open most days here but with work and limited choices I find it hard to get what I want. Lights are really bad here, each lfs is lucky to carry the light length I need, let alone any variety.

Back
Top Bottom