Unknown cause of flashing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah.louise

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone..hope everyone's keeping safe. Ive already asked on fish lore but everyone's as confused as i am so hoping someone might have an idea on here! So ill keep the post as short as possible but i want to make sure i add everything i feel is needed. The flashing started two months ago when i upgraded my tank,.and in that time ive lost two danios. My tank is 170 litres, 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. I have two fantail goldfish, now 5 danio (2 pearl, 3 leopards) and two platy. Ive been told different answers on if they should live together ect ect. Here in the uk danio ad platy are both sold as temparate and ok to live with goldfish in cold water... So i dont see this being my issue due to the fact for nearly three years everyones been happy and healthy. Also to add due to high nitrates in tap water i stupidly changed to bottle water, and have used that for two.and a half years. So after i upgraded my tank, i first noticed a few danio flashing over time then the platys, the goldfish seem unaffected which is odd....i waited a month before i decided to treat for gill flukes, using fluke.solve, didnt help, i then used a white spot and parasite treatment also hasn't helped so i dont want to keep throwing different treatments in. Fish all active, all eating, no obvious signs off any disease. The fish that died looked healthy (obviously weren't but they looked it). So im at a loss of What to do!! Can stress alone without disease cause flashing? Could the danios be stressed because they are in a small group? Really need help! Thank you.

Can you be specific on the water? Type and prep.

How frequent and % change?.

Is flashing constant or only at certain times?

Can you be specific on the water? Type and prep.

How frequent and % change?.

Is flashing constant or only at certain times?

Hello, thanks for the reply. Its spring water ill try upload a pic pf the levels in the water like minerals etc. My tank levels are ph is between 7.6-8. Ammonia is 0. Nitrite.0. Nitrate 20ish. Kh 179ppm. And gh 197 ppm. It seems when i feed them more than anything and its only a handful of them flashing..its not constant, maybe three.or.four times a day. Haven't seen any flashing yet today. I do two water changes a week about 30% each time. I use water conditioner a few drops.in each bottle i use which ive always done, and again the flashing only started after the upgrade, i have changed to sand instead.of gravel i dont know if this could be the issue

Spring water isn’t really for fish tanks. Everything I have read recommended RO water remineralized with something like Seachem Equalibrium. Fish need minerals in the water.

If the fish are itchy and slime coat is out of whack you might try Seachem Stress Guard too to help them heal.

I appreciate that, but would it really only start being an issue three years down the line? My levels are all fine ph 7.6/8 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 gh is 197.9 ppm and my kh 179 ppm? So my water does have the necessary minerals etc. I did look into ro water but my dad.doesnt want it set up. Plus then wouldn't using a different water sorce shock my fish!? Can i get that product in the uk?

Back
Top Bottom