The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fyi, just checked my records it was yesterday i put a ungodly amount of ammo in me tank, im still really surprised they ate it all :eek:

Pigeonfood said:
fyi, just checked my records it was yesterday i put a ungodly amount of ammo in me tank, im still really surprised they ate it all :eek:

You're getting close my friend. That makes me almost as happy as watching Real Madrid drop the Copa del Rey off their bus and getting it run over, haha!

i topped it back up...kinda more than 4ppm, but im sure it'll be fine since ive almost established my filter with the bacteria

Okay, so here's my update :)

I started cycling my 75g tank on the 15th. 15 days later, my tank has cycled! I followed Eco's guide and it worked out great. I was able to pick up some new fish and introduce them to the tank today!

My tank has 10 plants, low light and 2 pieces of DW. I did dose the tank with Flourish once about mid cycle to help the plants a bit. My ph is at 6.8 out of the tap and rather than trying to lower it. I used some crushed up flake food.

When I began my cycle, I went to a LFS who gave me the sponge off of their planted tank. I also bought 3 potted plants from them and left the pot and potting material in the tank. I can express how important (IMHO) it is to get seeding material. I'm still surprised that in 15 days I was able to cycle a 75g tank :)

I want to say thank you to everyone, especially Eco for his great guide! I'm now sitting here watching my fish happily swim around their new home.

Still have quite a bit to learn, but this guide helped me start the right way.

Happy Easter!

Congratulations and great job Mog!!! You're the perfect example or how efficient and satisfying fishless cycling can be! If your fish could talk, they'd thank you.

Hello,

Im doing my fishless cycle, on day 14 now.
(Day 14 results)
Ammonia 0.50ppm
NitrIte 2.0 - 5.0 ppm (very hard to tell)
NitrAte 40ppm

Says on here that, 'when nitrIte/nitrAte becomes unreadable' then we need to do pwc.

May seem like a stupid questions, but when you mean unreadable, does it mean turning into a colour that doesn't exist on the results sheet?

Many thanks,

Kawaipoon said:
Hello,

Im doing my fishless cycle, on day 14 now.
(Day 14 results)
Ammonia 0.50ppm
NitrIte 2.0 - 5.0 ppm (very hard to tell)
NitrAte 40ppm

Says on here that, 'when nitrIte/nitrAte becomes unreadable' then we need to do pwc.

May seem like a stupid questions, but when you mean unreadable, does it mean turning into a colour that doesn't exist on the results sheet?

Many thanks,

Hi Kawaipoon, is the .5 ammo reading from 24 hours after dosing it up to 4ppm? If you're pretty sure the nitrIte level is around 5 or above, you can go ahead and do your 50% mid-cycle pwc. Just make sure you use your dechlorinator and match temps. If you're not sure that the levels have maxed out yet, you can either wait a few days until they have, or go ahead and do the pwc now. The reason we do the water change at this point is just to restore nutrients to the water to prevent the cycle from stalling. If you do the pwc too early...it won't cause any damage, it's just not necessary, and may require you to perform another if the levels rocket back up and off the charts high.

Hi Kawaipoon, is the .5 ammo reading from 24 hours after dosing it up to 4ppm? If you're pretty sure the nitrIte level is around 5 or above, you can go ahead and do your 50% mid-cycle pwc. Just make sure you use your dechlorinator and match temps. If you're not sure that the levels have maxed out yet, you can either wait a few days until they have, or go ahead and do the pwc now. The reason we do the water change at this point is just to restore nutrients to the water to prevent the cycle from stalling. If you do the pwc too early...it won't cause any damage, it's just not necessary, and may require you to perform another if the levels rocket back up and off the charts high.

Hi Eco,

Yeah, I keep it dosed to around 3-4ppm everyday, my result tested .5 ppm for Ammo (24hrs later).

Just another questions, when checking the results; Do I put tubes against the white part (next to the colours) or hold in the air and try and match? if that makes sense? Because the colour seems darker against the white part.

Thanks,

Kawaipoon said:
Hi Eco,

Yeah, I keep it dosed to around 3-4ppm everyday, my result tested .5 ppm for Ammo (24hrs later).

Just another questions, when checking the results; Do I put tubes against the white part (next to the colours) or hold in the air and try and match? if that makes sense? Because the colour seems darker against the white part.

Thanks,

Ah, the eternal question. Seems like the answer is if you want it to be darker, hold it against the card, if you hope it's lighter...hold it up away from it, lol. Honestly, I hold mine either in front of a white wall in a room with good lighting, or up to a window and compare it with outside as a background. At this point, the exact numbers aren't all that important, you just want an idea of what they are. Once cycled, it is both more important and easier to read the results. when you're done, you want ammo to be yellow, and nitrItes baby blue. But for now, just a general idea is fine.

Ah, the eternal question. Seems like the answer is if you want it to be darker, hold it against the card, if you hope it's lighter...hold it up away from it, lol. Honestly, I hold mine either in front of a white wall in a room with good lighting, or up to a window and compare it with outside as a background. At this point, the exact numbers aren't all that important, you just want an idea of what they are. Once cycled, it is both more important and easier to read the results. when you're done, you want ammo to be yellow, and nitrItes baby blue. But for now, just a general idea is fine.

haha that's exactly right lol. I shall see what the levels are tomorrow and do a pwc if levels are extremely high.

Many thanks for both your help :)

This is my first official post on this board after my introduction post. I must say that the OP was the most informative post I have ever read on the fishless cycle. I previously belonged to another forum, and while there was information, there was nothing comparative to this thread. I run my own website/forum of a gardening nature and if this were my board, I would sticky this thread in a heartbeat. The OP was the reason I decided to join here. Great job!

JBsDad said:
This is my first official post on this board after my introduction post. I must say that the OP was the most informative post I have ever read on the fishless cycle. I previously belonged to another forum, and while there was information, there was nothing comparative to this thread. I run my own website/forum of a gardening nature and if this were my board, I would sticky this thread in a heartbeat. The OP was the reason I decided to join here. Great job!

Eco put much work in to that. He is a good guy.
Welcome,
Wayne

JBsDad said:

Thank you so much for the fantastic compliment. It's good to know there are so many people out there who understand the importance and seek out the best information to safely prep their aquarium for fish.

Unfortunately, I have been informed this thread will not become a sticky because the site is trying to transition to article based info instead of stickys. Hopefully, with the help of people like you, we can link as many people as possible to info like mine and keep as many fish swimming (instead of floating) as possible. Thanks!

nohika said:
I've started testing my (fish-less) tank and hope to get some ammonia today. :) Thank you so much for your guide and your willingness to answer questions!

Thanks for doing a fishless cycle. I'm happy to answer questions...I'm so addicted to this site that I don't really have a choice at this point, lol. Plus, thanks to the combination of this handy little app mixed with insomnia, I'm informed of questions at all hours, haha.

JBsDad said:

What's the name of your gardening forum? My wife might become as obsessed with that one as we all are here.

Thank you so much for the fantastic compliment. It's good to know there are so many people out there who understand the importance and seek out the best information to safely prep their aquarium for fish.

Unfortunately, I have been informed this thread will not become a sticky because the site is trying to transition to article based info instead of stickys. Hopefully, with the help of people like you, we can link as many people as possible to info like mine and keep as many fish swimming (instead of floating) as possible. Thanks!

I can understand that. Too many stickies become cumbersome and unread. Perhaps in the future the staff will create a sticky containing links to all informative articles/threads such as this one so new members like myself can find them easily. Most new members will not check the "Articles" link for information. They will have to be directed to it. Nice work though ;)

Thanks for doing a fishless cycle. I'm happy to answer questions...I'm so addicted to this site that I don't really have a choice at this point, lol. Plus, thanks to the combination of this handy little app mixed with insomnia, I'm informed of questions at all hours, haha.

It wasn't totally intended...and technically I'm cycling two tanks at once - one fishless, one not. Fighting resistance every likkle step of the way. :banghead:

I think if you click my name, then click JBsDad Homepage it will take you there. I don't know how the Mods would react if I posted my page openly, even though it isn't in competition with this site. Look for the forums on the left hand side. It's a very small site and mostly family and close friends, but open to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom