The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Fishless is definitely the only way to go. I'm glad I realized it sooner than later. I remember years ago you only knew to just set up your tank and wait a day then add a few fish. Oh how ignorant. lol. It's sad that people are still told this unless they actually research and come across a site like this.

It's funny cause I actually mentioned fishless cycling to a worker at my LFS. He had no idea and was confused. Which sucks cause this store is awesome at everything aside from that. The cleanest place I've seen. But, anywho, that's a different story for another time.

Thanks for your help Eco.

This is nitrite following 2 50%s and a 25 done 2 hours after. I could only get 25 before I had to leave.

Attachments

• image-246570607.jpg
    image-246570607.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 86
griffinej5 said:
This is nitrite following 2 50%s and a 25 done 2 hours after. I could only get 25 before I had to leave.

Wow, you've definitely got some beneficial bacteria in there...I'll say that :). Now we've just got to get the second type to catch up with the first. You can do more pwc's if you want, or just let it ride for a while and see what happens.

I found the Ace Janitorial Strength ammonia :)

I am going to begin filling my tank tonight. Any problem with using some of the ammonia to clean the aquarium before I fill it? I figure since I'm going to be adding it anyway, why not clean it with it first?

Sparyky74 said:
I found the Ace Janitorial Strength ammonia :)

I am going to begin filling my tank tonight. Any problem with using some of the ammonia to clean the aquarium before I fill it? I figure since I'm going to be adding it anyway, why not clean it with it first?

I don't see a problem there. What's the worst that could happen...ammo in the tank? Lol :). Glad you're all set.

I don't see a problem there. What's the worst that could happen...ammo in the tank? Lol :). Glad you're all set.

:thanks: For all your help......My LFS was actually surprised I was using ammonia to cycle and said that is the only way he does it.

I am doing(or was planning to do the fishless cycle on a 75 gallon and using my existing(stocked/cycled) 55gal as the sump....As I am cleaning with the ammonia(oopsies maybe), I wondered if I could take fish out of 55gal, put in bin temporarily, drain 55, move tank to basement, refill and hook up overflow/sump, but put fish back into new tank(leaving gravel,decorations etc in place).

Would this work? Or am I going to have problems with waste in new tank tank? I will have about 300gal/hr turnover with overflow and will put fluvals temporarily in display tank(already seeded).

Sparyky74 said:
:thanks: For all your help......My LFS was actually surprised I was using ammonia to cycle and said that is the only way he does it.

I am doing(or was planning to do the fishless cycle on a 75 gallon and using my existing(stocked/cycled) 55gal as the sump....As I am cleaning with the ammonia(oopsies maybe), I wondered if I could take fish out of 55gal, put in bin temporarily, drain 55, move tank to basement, refill and hook up overflow/sump, but put fish back into new tank(leaving gravel,decorations etc in place).

Would this work? Or am I going to have problems with waste in new tank tank? I will have about 300gal/hr turnover with overflow and will put fluvals temporarily in display tank(already seeded).

Shocked. Usually they laugh at you and try to sell you some Danios and a crap bottle of cycling product.

I'm a wee bit confused on what you're doing...so, you just need to move their current tank to the basement, or they'll be re-homed to the 75? Are both tanks going to be kept or are you getting rid of the 55 ?

Sorry, getting late here, lol.

To be perfectly honest with you my friend, you're setup is over my head and I really have no knowledge about how sump systems work. I've always viewed them as a SW setup, and admittently I've never taken the time to research how they perform.

The only info I can really contribute is that as long as everything from your existing setup is transferred to the new (filter media, substrate, etc...) there shouldn't be a need for a fishless cycle. The bacteria you have now is adjusted to your current bio-load, and as long as the beneficial bacteria is transferred everything should remained balanced. I'd keep a close eye on your water parameters for a while to make sure everything remains stable, and I'd also wait a bit before adding additional fish to make sure nothing is going to cause a mini-cycle (which would easily be cured with a few pwc's).

Just make sure every piece of media stays wet so the bacteria doesn't dry out, and try to keep the gravel moist if possible. It's likely you'll lose a portion of the bacteria if the walls and decorations dry out during the move which will potentially result in a small ammonia spike for a couple days. But doing some water changes and using a good conditioner like Seachem Prime will steady things back out pretty quickly.

Judging from the thread you linked in your PM, you seem to have an awesome setup and I look forward to seeing it completed.

I wish I could be more help, and I've definitely got some research to do in the future.

If I'm missing anything feel free to point it out...I'm more that happy to share any info I have, but there's definitely some aspects I have a lot to learn myself :)

(y) If it ever gets completed...

The 75gal does NOT have the substrate from the cycled tank...I switched over to flourite sand.

That is why I don't think it's such a good idea. While the cycled tank would be hooked up to the sump(the cycled gravel/substrate would be in sump), the substrate in 75gal is not cycled and the waste would fall on dead substrate...All filtration is fully seeded and has been running on the 55gal, so I have plenty o bacteria as far as media goes, its just the substrate I worry about. Going to have to think about it. :blink:

Sparyky74 said:
(y) If it ever gets completed...

The 75gal does NOT have the substrate from the cycled tank...I switched over to flourite sand.

That is why I don't think it's such a good idea. While the cycled tank would be hooked up to the sump(the cycled gravel/substrate would be in sump), the substrate in 75gal is not cycled and the waste would fall on dead substrate...All filtration is fully seeded and has been running on the 55gal, so I have plenty o bacteria as far as media goes, its just the substrate I worry about. Going to have to think about it. :blink:

Is it an interconnected system though? (pardon my ignorance on the setup). So, the water flows through both tanks?

Switching substrate isn't the end of the world. The VAST majority of your BB is in the filter media. Replacing all the substrate will definitely cause a mini-cycle, but a week of daily pwc's will handle it while it adjusts. The filter media is what's really important.

I'm probably the biggest advocate of fishless cycling on the site, but if it's going to be the same fish, with the same filters and media, just missing the substrate...I'd personally deal with it using a bucket and fresh water instead of a bottle of ammo.

Again, I could be totally missing something, but unless you need to add more fish immediately, or are losing media other than the gravel. I'd just do some stretching and get ready to carry buckets for a few days.

You got it right... (y)

I was originally thinking the same thing.... :brows:

It's really simple. Just an overflow box that dumps water into basement via siphon into the 55gallon and gets pumped back upstairs into display tank. I will have all the filters/co2/heaters/etc running in the 55gal so the display tank will just have an overflow box and one pipe to return the water. No sound or clutter :) Plus it adds 35-40 gallons to the system(will have approx 110gal). For me, having everything in basement makes my life much easier.

I have 2 Fluval canister filters(405 and 404) running in 55. Plus 2 powerheads with filters that are very well seeded. I also have a small biowheel that I put back on a while back. So I have tons of filter media that is heavily loaded...I also have a lot of plants that will go in display tank that will bring bacteria with them...

There is another 404 currently running in the 75 with pretty much just one bin of biomax and a ton of filter floss/polishing pads...Just trying to get it clear as I can.

I think I'll try it :ermm: If I see things going wrong I can isolate fish in cycled media/gravel.

Thanks for the helpful information... I've read the whole thing multiple times and it seems logical.

Now the hard part - getting it to work haha. I've been going for 2 weeks so far with no luck - probably due to a combination of 1) I don't know anyone with an established tank to get any seed material from and 2) The tank heater I have keeps the water at a constant 76 degrees and it is not adjustable. It would probably be better if the water was warmer.

I put in ammonia to 2ppm with no drops and no signs of nitrite or nitrate yet. I really wish I could get some seeding material! Also don't want to buy a new heater but it looks like I may have to.

PurpleKoolaid85 said:
Thanks for the helpful information... I've read the whole thing multiple times and it seems logical.

Now the hard part - getting it to work haha. I've been going for 2 weeks so far with no luck - probably due to a combination of 1) I don't know anyone with an established tank to get any seed material from and 2) The tank heater I have keeps the water at a constant 76 degrees and it is not adjustable. It would probably be better if the water was warmer.

I put in ammonia to 2ppm with no drops and no signs of nitrite or nitrate yet. I really wish I could get some seeding material! Also don't want to buy a new heater but it looks like I may have to.

Welcome to the site, glad you like the guide :)

Without established media, 2 weeks is an acceptable time without seeing anything happen. I don't see cause for concern yet. Just keep hunting down the seeded media and things will take off!

It's always a good idea to make sure nothing basic is missing. Ensure the ammonia is pure, you used a dechlorinator, etc... The temp won't be an issue. 77-86 is ideal...but as long as you're close things are fine.

Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions!

I can't get the pictures to upload, but I did 4 25% water changes, and a 50% change, back to back. I wasn't sure when I was going to get stopped, and since I have 2 buckets, I can fill one to replace water while I'm pumping water out into the other. Anyway, the nitrites are 5 or more still. So, I have no clue what it's at, but it had to be 30 or more.

griffinej5 said:
I can't get the pictures to upload, but I did 4 25% water changes, and a 50% change, back to back. I wasn't sure when I was going to get stopped, and since I have 2 buckets, I can fill one to replace water while I'm pumping water out into the other. Anyway, the nitrites are 5 or more still. So, I have no clue what it's at, but it had to be 30 or more.

Haha! I think it's fair to say you have a lot of ammo to no2 bacteria in there, lol.

It's your call. You can let it circulate for a bit and basically do a fast (so the walls and deco don't dry out) 90% pwc all at once to definitely knock it down, or just let it ride for a bit. Truth be told...I only did one 50% pwc during my first cycle, and things finished just fine. I had a major pH crash which is one of the reasons I recommend doing some pwc's during the process to prevent things like that, but things ended up fine just the same. If you feel like hauling some more buckets, getting no2 down will help prevent stalls and pH crashes and may shave a few days off your cycle...but if you just want to watch and see what it does over the next few days that's your call too :)

I don't know why I decided to do it, because last time it didn't bring it to readable when I did 90% a few days ago, but I did about 75% today. I haven't checked the level again since I did that. This does bring the nitrates down to readable levels, and they rise back up and off the chart, so I must have the bacteria to convert nitrite to nitrate. I guess I'm back to dosing ammonia to 4, and I'll otherwise it alone and quit messing with it.

griffinej5 said:
I don't know why I decided to do it, because last time it didn't bring it to readable when I did 90% a few days ago, but I did about 75% today. I haven't checked the level again since I did that. This does bring the nitrates down to readable levels, and they rise back up and off the chart, so I must have the bacteria to convert nitrite to nitrate. I guess I'm back to dosing ammonia to 4, and I'll otherwise it alone and quit messing with it.

Yep, just wait it out. It'll happen soon and it'll happen suddenly :)

Hey guys, I thought my tank had cycled the other day but I was a bit hasty lol. Luckily I never got any fish!

But After checking today it's sure is. I need todo a big pwc but can only really do it literally 24 hours before getting the fish. I'm pretty sure it can last without ammonia for that long without doing to much damage?

just looking for conformation. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom