The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this crazy white stringy stuff that has adhered to the heater suction cups?!?! Its also on the top of the heater, the dial part.. This tank is about midway through cycling, I just started getting nitrite readings 2 or 3 days ago...Any thoughts?

Attachments

• P8252546.jpg
    P8252546.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 71
  • P8252548.jpg
    P8252548.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 83
What is this crazy white stringy stuff that has adhered to the heater suction cups?!?! Its also on the top of the heater, the dial part.. This tank is about midway through cycling, I just started getting nitrite readings 2 or 3 days ago...Any thoughts?

I think it's normal. My suction cups are black and if I look at them through the glass they have some white stuff on them. It comes off if you wipe it, although yours looks like it has more than mine, but it could be the pic. I don't think it's anything to worry about though.

Thanks for your response. Its hard to tell in the picture, but in person it looks really thick and hairy. It is only on the rubber parts of the heater, no where else. There is also no other rubber parts in the tank...

Weird, I would say algae, but since it's only on the rubber, I would have to say either some algae that only likes the rubber or some chemical is reacting to it, if it is "hairy" most ppl guess algae right away...

So I need a clue where I am here, 24 hours ago, all my NH3 was gone, dosed it back up to 4ppm. Now I checked it and I am around 1ppm, so I decide to check my nitrItes, pegged... Then nitrAtes... Pegged... So tomorrow should I do a 50% water change? How close do you think I am... This sudden rush forward was due to a bag of filter water from my lfs on Wednesday that I poured through my sponge... Before that, NH3 was steady without dozing at 4 for about 2 weeks..... Is this a false rush because of the sudden introduction of some really good BB? A little lost here.....

Attachments

• image-2528119538.jpg
    image-2528119538.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 73
So I need a clue where I am here, 24 hours ago, all my NH3 was gone, dosed it back up to 4ppm. Now I checked it and I am around 1ppm, so I decide to check my nitrItes, pegged... Then nitrAtes... Pegged... So tomorrow should I do a 50% water change? How close do you think I am... This sudden rush forward was due to a bag of filter water from my lfs on Wednesday that I poured through my sponge... Before that, NH3 was steady without dozing at 4 for about 2 weeks..... Is this a false rush because of the sudden introduction of some really good BB? A little lost here.....

Hi! I think Eco has had a power outage where he is so not sure when he'll be back on and I'm expecting to lose power later today but I'll try to help as much as i can. :D Your NitrItes and nitAtes look way off chart, very dark. Had you had any nitrites and nitrates before adding the water? Also in the pic, is that your normal PH or has it dropped? If you want to do a large water change it wouldn't hurt anything, I don't think. Had the ammonia been dropping to 0 every 24 hours until you put the water in or had it not dropped at all? If it was dropping to 0 and then it only dropped to what it is in the pic, then it could be a stall and a water change could help. If it wasn't dropping at all and then it started to drop, that's a good sign. I'm not an expert by any means but a pwc shouldn't hurt anything if you want to do one, just don't forget to dose ammonia back up afterwards.

A week ago I checked all my tests and I had ph 7.4 and 4,0,0. After that I only checked the ammonia. 3 days ago I checked and my NH3 had dropped to 2, then the next day zero. I dosed back up and decided to check all the parameters 24 hours later and I got the results in the pic above. I didn't think to check the nitrites and trates because nothing was eating the ammonia.... I may be long overdue for a water change... Weird though how my trates are so high and my trites, except that could mean I have a ton of NH3>trites bacteria and the trites>trates bacteria are working, but not enough to keep all the trites in check produced by the first bacteria. Thanks for the advice, I am going to do a large pwc to get my buffers back because the ph has dropped and to get my trites and trates back in check

Something is odd. In order for there to be that much no2 and no3 there would have to have been a TON of conversion happening...and that would require an awful lot of ammonia being converted and constantly being added back to the tank.

I can't imagine the squeezings of an established filter doing anything even remotely similar in that time frame. I'd either have to chalk it up to a faulty test, or some other variable. Are you using any type of substrate for plants like Eco-complete?

I'd probably vote for a massive water change (drain it to just above the gravel), see what it tests as and watch it over the next few days.

Something definitely doesn't add up in my mind...I'll think it over a bit.

Thank's for the cover Librarygirl :). Our power just came back on this morning and I've been cleaning a rain forest's worth of leaves out of the pool.

Could be test, I have a heavily planted 55 gallon with Co2 and flourish tabs.... I put the tabs in 3 days ago too.... There is a lot of fertilizer in the water. I did 2 20% water changes in a row, it's pretty tough to get primed water in the tank where it is, I am limited to 10 gallons at a time right now of primed water. I am going to let it mix good for an hour or two then repeat all the tests, we will see what changes....

Ok, much better results tonight, the NO3 test was a bad test before, I mixed the bottles up... I mixed bottle 2 first... This time I know exactly where I am... Good NH3>NO2 bacteria.... Waiting on NO2>NO3 bacteria to catch up... Half way done.... Thanks for the input... Kept me from making a mistake...

Attachments

• image-3364616055.jpg
    image-3364616055.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3851021542.jpg
    image-3851021542.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 75
Ozydego said:
Ok, much better results tonight, the NO3 test was a bad test before, I mixed the bottles up... I mixed bottle 2 first... This time I know exactly where I am... Good NH3>NO2 bacteria.... Waiting on NO2>NO3 bacteria to catch up... Half way done.... Thanks for the input... Kept me from making a mistake...

Looks much better...and less confusing :)

It wouldn't be a bad idea in the next few days to do a massive water change to get the nitrItes down to .5-1. Don't be surprised if they jump back up, but it will refresh everything and maybe shave a couple days off. Just don't feel like you need to do pwc's every time it hits 5.

Much better! lol Very nice looking tank!!

I am wonder what keeps causing the pH to drop, it was 6.4 or so, then I did back to back 20% pwcs it was back to 7, now it's back down... It's gonna be hard to do a large pwc, unless I can dose the tank with prime and pump in regular tap.... Advice?

Attachments

• image-2228805971.jpg
    image-2228805971.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 83
The pic makes the pH look a little lower than it is, it's about 6.4 with the green tint not seen in the pic.... I have added a lot of driftwood, could that be causing the acidity, or the seachem tabs I added?

Attachments

• image-2050509570.jpg
    image-2050509570.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 88
Forgive me if I've already asked, but have we talked about adding a bag of crushed coral or aragonite into your filter? It will both raise the pH and buffer it to keep it steady. I've got a section in the guide about it if you want to check it out.

DW will leech tannins which lower pH, but it's not normally anything super dramatic. I'm sure it is contributing to the issue though.

You can add raw tap water to the tank if you are using Prime. I do it every week with my Python water changer. The key is to drain the water, add Prime based off the total volume of the tank (not just what you're replacing), and refill with temperature matched water.

Pwc's will restore the pH for a time, but since you seem to have such low alkalinity it seems like we'll definitely have to get your water buffered. pH fluctuations are common during cycling, but if it drops too quickly and too often it can cause issues. If it fluctuates this much now, it may be worth considering permanently keeping a small amount of CC in your tank once it is stocked. I run a small bag in all of my tanks because I have very soft water, and if I don't my pH plummets (which can be bad for your fish).

I guess you do go over this a lot huh... We all appreciate your tireless efforts to educate here and I have already been able to use the info I learned here to help someone else. Thanks! We have not gone over the crushed coral and seeing that the pH does keep creeping down, the coral is the best idea.

Hi everyone!

I am a newbie here and have just started a new 64 gallon aquarium and after reading your fantastic guide to fishless cycling I took the brave step to try it out.

My tank now only has gravel subtrate and driftwood and I am running an external canister filter with the water level in the tank lower than the rainbar so that the water splashes will aerate the water. I plan to put in the plants (java fern, java moss, frogbits, hornwart) after my tank has completed cycling.

Now, after 12 days of cycling, my ammonia drops from 4ppm to 2ppm in a day, my nitrites is above 5ppm and my nitrates are 20ppm. I dose the ammonia up to 4ppm everyday.

I would like to ask this question;

My driftwood has been in the tank since day 1 and I have pre-soaked them for 1 week before putting them in the tank. After a few days, I have noticed white stuff like cotton coating the driftwood; much like the pictures below.

img_1525859_0_2b4cdb6618e738c9269c4707badbc230.jpg

img_1525859_1_bfdbe2378b370eb69e3de63b5829b7bb.jpg

Now, since day 9 of my cycling, a black hairy looking fungus has been growing in its place and I am dreading that it is either black brush algae or black beard algae. It looks like this.

img_1525859_2_d4309e10003a07c8e859395c56190c82.jpg

Is this normal? Should I leave it alone or should I take out my driftwood and scrub the black stuff and white stuff off? And will it affect my cycling period? Please help!

Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad things are going well. You seem to be exactly on track for a perfect cycle :)

As for the DW...the white gunk is pretty common on new DW. I believe it is a fungus which is totally harmless and some fish will actually eat it. You can just break it off and trash it if you'd like.

Im definitely not an algae expert...but I hate to say the other stuff looks like BBA. Do you have high lighting you've been leaving on? If so, assuming there are no plants I'd leave the light off until your cycle is finished.

There will be some degree of beneficial bacteria on every surface, but the majority is in your filter media. I don't think you'd see any measurable negative impact if you wanted to take out the DW, give it a good scrub and stick it back in.

Welcome to the site btw :)

eco23 said:
Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad things are going well. You seem to be exactly on track for a perfect cycle :)

As for the DW...the white gunk is pretty common on new DW. I believe it is a fungus which is totally harmless and some fish will actually eat it. You can just break it off and trash it if you'd like.

Im definitely not an algae expert...but I hate to say the other stuff looks like BBA. Do you have high lighting you've been leaving on? If so, assuming there are no plants I'd leave the light off until your cycle is finished.

There will be some degree of beneficial bacteria on every surface, but the majority is in your filter media. I don't think you'd see any measurable negative impact if you wanted to take out the DW, give it a good scrub and stick it back in.

Welcome to the site btw :)

You're welcome and thanks for your warm welcome! =)

Oh dear, just what I was afraid of. The funny thing is, I did not turn on my tank lights at all since I don't have any plants. The only light source that I can think of are my living room lights that we turn on at night, from 7pm to abt 12 - 2am. They shouldn't be strong enough for the algae or am I mistaken?

Ok I will take the DW out and scrub the nasties out. But i'm still puzzled as to how the BBA sneaked in.

Clausura said:
You're welcome and thanks for your warm welcome! =)

Oh dear, just what I was afraid of. The funny thing is, I did not turn on my tank lights at all since I don't have any plants. The only light source that I can think of are my living room lights that we turn on at night, from 7pm to abt 12 - 2am. They shouldn't be strong enough for the algae or am I mistaken?

Ok I will take the DW out and scrub the nasties out. But i'm still puzzled as to how the BBA sneaked in.

I can't be certain that's what it is (I'm not great at ID'ing algae), but it certainly has that appearance. I suppose it could be another form of fungus from the new DW I've never seen. You could always start a new thread asking for opinions...but honestly I'd probably scrub it off, stick it back in and see if it develops again.

Here's a good article about algae you can check out and see if it helps ID the culprit :)
http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom