The cloudy water worries!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdwhite807

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,
I'm new to the site and also new to the hobby and I am turning my inexperience over to you guys in hopes that you can guide me in the right direction. I have wanted a tank for years and so I worked up the nerve and visited the local fish shop where I found and purchased a 40 gallon breeder. I also purchased the penguin 200 bio wheel with the Aqueon heater. The guy gave me tank starter as well a water conditioner for water changes, and I also grabbed some live plants for beginners. I took the tank home set it up with plants and ornaments and filled it with water, added the tank starter and let it run for a week like he instructed. last Tuesday I went back and purchased 4 fish, 1 Tiger Bard, 1 Red Tail Shark, 1 Yellow Lab, and 1 Gourami. I know now this is probably when I should have known this guy had no Idea what he was doing as my Tiger Barb is harassing everything in the tank, but due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge I put my trust in someone who claimed to have been in the hobby for 15 years. The fish have been doing great other than the barb better known as terror, but this morning I woke up to a milky white tank. I have an API test kit and the last two readings are as follows:

03.12.14:
Ph:7.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0-.25ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm

Ph: 7.8
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Ammonia: .25-.50 ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I have yet to do a water change, I was instructed to perform one every 10 days. The fish seem to be happy aside from the barb constantly pecking at someone. Is this something I need to worry about? I am worried about my new additions to the family. I know I probably have not done everything the right way the more I read, but I am trying to learn from my mistakes and make a great tank for my fish. Any help and direction would be of great benefit, and I promise you myself as well as my fish will thank you for it. The more ideas the better.

Hey guys,
I'm new to the site and also new to the hobby and I am turning my inexperience over to you guys in hopes that you can guide me in the right direction. I have wanted a tank for years and so I worked up the nerve and visited the local fish shop where I found and purchased a 40 gallon breeder. I also purchased the penguin 200 bio wheel with the Aqueon heater. The guy gave me tank starter as well a water conditioner for water changes, and I also grabbed some live plants for beginners. I took the tank home set it up with plants and ornaments and filled it with water, added the tank starter and let it run for a week like he instructed. last Tuesday I went back and purchased 4 fish, 1 Tiger Bard, 1 Red Tail Shark, 1 Yellow Lab, and 1 Gourami. I know now this is probably when I should have known this guy had no Idea what he was doing as my Tiger Barb is harassing everything in the tank, but due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge I put my trust in someone who claimed to have been in the hobby for 15 years. The fish have been doing great other than the barb better known as terror, but this morning I woke up to a milky white tank. I have an API test kit and the last two readings are as follows:

03.12.14:
Ph:7.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0-.25ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm

Ph: 7.8
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Ammonia: .25-.50 ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I have yet to do a water change, I was instructed to perform one every 10 days. The fish seem to be happy aside from the barb constantly pecking at someone. Is this something I need to worry about? I am worried about my new additions to the family. I know I probably have not done everything the right way the more I read, but I am trying to learn from my mistakes and make a great tank for my fish. Any help and direction would be of great benefit, and I promise you myself as well as my fish will thank you for it. The more ideas the better.

Ug why are lfs people so dumb? First id take back the barb they need to be in a school our there even more aggressive then normal.

Also your tank is NOT cycled look into "fish in cycling"

Id also do a 50 percent water change ASAP that ammonia will kill your fish

Hi and welcome! I hate to say but most of your fish don't belong together. Is there any way you can return them and do some research on proper fish for the tank?

With nitrite rising I'd do at least a 50% water change.

Also I would increase your filtration.

Milky white water in a new tank is normal; just a bacterial bloom. It'll clear up with water changes and on its own eventually.

Here's some guides if you haven't seen them yet:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice, I did a 50% water change this morning with no visible signs that the water got any clearer. How often should I do a water change?

Also you mentioned more filtration. Should I by a larger filter, add another filter cartridge into the one I have ( It will hold two, I only have one in it), or is there possibly another solution?

Thanks for the advice, I did a 50% water change this morning with no visible signs that the water got any clearer. How often should I do a water change?

Also you mentioned more filtration. Should I by a larger filter, add another filter cartridge into the one I have ( It will hold two, I only have one in it), or is there possibly another solution?

If your in your cycle daily 20 percent daily changes will help your fish. After your cycle is done once a week is fine. It never hurts to add more filtration but your main problem is you're not cycled.

If your in your cycle daily 20 percent daily changes will help your fish. After your cycle is done once a week is fine. It never hurts to add more filtration but your main problem is you're not cycled.

I also have a penguin 200 and instead of a second cartridge i use aquarium cotton (polyester fiber u can buy in your lfs filter section) just make sure you don't put in so much you disturb the flow. Cheaper than standard refills.

Thanks all, I stopped by and grabbed fluval sponges, hopefully this will help, my water is gradually getting better just as a result of water changes.

I hate to break it to you but you really need to rethink your stocking. The yellow lab is a bruiser of a fish and can be fairly aggressive as well as being large and requiring a 4ft long tank minimum. The tiger barb will continue to create havoc until at least 4 or more barbs are added. The red tailed shark is notorious for fin nipping. It might work in a semi aggressive setup but not a peaceful community tank if you decide to go that route.

As for the cloudy water, there isn't much you can do about it. It'll go away when your tank is cycled. Until then you need to do a 50% water change every time your ammonia or nitrites read above .25ppm.

I traded the tiger barb and since then all is well, my lab is the most peaceful of all of the fish in the tank. It's weird I know but right now it works, they all seem to be living well together, but only time will tell.

I traded the tiger barb and since then all is well, my lab is the most peaceful of all of the fish in the tank. It's weird I know but right now it works, they all seem to be living well together, but only time will tell.

The lab is one of the more docile of the mbuna species. While he is more docile than most other Mbuna, he is still among some of the most aggressive aquarium fish in the trade. Keep an eye on him because things can change quickly when fish grow older.

Back
Top Bottom