the cycle process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gena1985

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all just started another sw tank about 3 weeks ago and I'm just wanting input on the test results

its a 240 litre tank ( around 63 gallons) with 25 kilos of LR that my LPS got straight from the reef which I put in my tank the day after they got it...

the resullts are
PH ~ 8.2
ALK ~ 2.4 Milli per litre
Ammonia ~ 0.5p.p.m
nitrate ~ 5.0 p.p.m
nitrite ~ 5.0 p.p.m
calcium ~ 440

I'm aiming to be able to put in corals later but the live rock that I did get have some nice corals on it....

how do the results look???

Looks like your off to a good start. The ammonia should fall to 0 and within a few weeks you nitrite should also rise and fall. One both are at 0 do some hefty water changes to reduce nitrates to < 10ppm and your good to add fish and inverts, slowly. Cycling the tank using incurred LR, make sure there is plenty of water flow.

tested the nitrites and what not again today just cause I do it everyday and the results are

Nitrite ~ 0.2 P.P.M
Ammonia ~0.25 P.P.M
Nitrate ~ <10 P.P.M

Sorry yesterday the Nitrites were 0.5 not 5.0 LOL

So it looks like its coming down YAY!!!

Gena1985 said:
tested the nitrites and what not again today just cause I do it everyday and the results are

Nitrite ~ 0.2 P.P.M
Ammonia ~0.25 P.P.M
Nitrate ~ <10 P.P.M

Sorry yesterday the Nitrites were 0.5 not 5.0 LOL

So it looks like its coming down YAY!!!

Yep looks like its moving along quickly. Should begin to see nitrates skyrocket and ammonia and nitrite drop to zero slowly.

So today my protien skimmer arrived in the mail it was a big box not what I was expecting at all but I opened it up and to my surprize its huge way to big to fit on my tank... I have a 240 ltr tank and I got one to suite 400 ltrs ( I've been reading and they say its best to go one up from what you need) but I have not way to attach it to my tank and I don't have a sump to put it in either all my filtration goes through my hood mind you I need a deeper hood lol (maybe thinking I can get someone to frab one up for me and if I find that person my skimmer woes will be all better LOL) but until then I wonder if I can rig it to sit in my cupbord under the tank and maybe run hosing to it and back to the tank... Whats your thoughts it is an external one or can be internal but if it goes in my tank I wont have room for any fish oh yeah THOUGHTS?????

Thanks for the help if you need a pic to see it i can do that over the weekend ( still setting up the new computer)

Gena1985 said:
So today my protien skimmer arrived in the mail it was a big box not what I was expecting at all but I opened it up and to my surprize its huge way to big to fit on my tank... I have a 240 ltr tank and I got one to suite 400 ltrs ( I've been reading and they say its best to go one up from what you need) but I have not way to attach it to my tank and I don't have a sump to put it in either all my filtration goes through my hood mind you I need a deeper hood lol (maybe thinking I can get someone to frab one up for me and if I find that person my skimmer woes will be all better LOL) but until then I wonder if I can rig it to sit in my cupbord under the tank and maybe run hosing to it and back to the tank... Whats your thoughts it is an external one or can be internal but if it goes in my tank I wont have room for any fish oh yeah THOUGHTS?????

Thanks for the help if you need a pic to see it i can do that over the weekend ( still setting up the new computer)

What skimmer is it?

What skimmer is it?

It's an Aqua One ProSkim G216 ... Where I live we can't get many product here because my LPS don't deal in SW so I use ebay for product unless I'm traveling 1 - 1 1/2 hours to buy fish (Dont buy online only because I like to see if the fish is in good health before I buy it)

It's an Aqua One ProSkim G216 ... Where I live we can't get many product here because my LPS don't deal in SW so I use ebay for product unless I'm traveling 1 - 1 1/2 hours to buy fish (Dont buy online only because I like to see if the fish is in good health before I buy it)

That is and in-sump skimmer. If you have no sump your gonna need a Hang On Back skimmer, that hangs on the back of your tank like a power filter would. bulkreefsupply.com is used by many reefer and you will fine a selection of HOB octopus skimmer there etc.

It says in the booklet that came with it that it can be hung on the side of the tank.... On another note found another hitch hiker today and its an oyster only found it by chance he was open while i was feeding whats in there and my boy banged the cupboard door and i seen him snap close he is about 3 inchs how am i going to take care of it?

Gena1985 said:
It says in the booklet that came with it that it can be hung on the side of the tank.... On another note found another hitch hiker today and its an oyster only found it by chance he was open while i was feeding whats in there and my boy banged the cupboard door and i seen him snap close he is about 3 inchs how am i going to take care of it?

If the booklet says that then i would imagine it also includes instructions on how to do so right? Im not familiar with this skimmer but that liojs way to big and bulky to be hanging on the back of a tank.

Hang on back skimmers usually have a much smaller profile.

Back
Top Bottom