the dreaded ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just found ich in my newly cycled tank. I read the link for treatment, but when it says to do a pwc, how much do I change?

I have additional media in my filter. Can I transfer the extra media to a "safe" tank while I treat my tank so I can quickly reseed my treated tank, or are the ich parasites in the media also? I can't handle killing all of my BB. What can I do?

Do a water change if you see the fish stressed. Other than that just wait till the ick is gone to do at least a 50% water change.

Reygan2 said:
I have additional media in my filter. Can I transfer the extra media to a "safe" tank while I treat my tank so I can quickly reseed my treated tank, or are the ich parasites in the media also? I can't handle killing all of my BB. What can I do?

Just leave it so your other tank won't get it.

alex07 said:
Treating ich won't kill your bacteria

If you treat it with heater/salt. I've read that with meds it can kill your bacteria.

Do I need to use heat and salt? From what I read in the link, 86 or above will kill the parasites.

Reygan2 said:
Do I need to use heat and salt? From what I read in the link, 86 or above will kill the parasites.

Correct, do not raise the temp. all at once.

I'm raising over a period of about 3 days. Tomorrow will be the day it should reach 86. I'm using the round glass thermometer with the green suction cup that walmart sells. I hope it's accurate.

Read my other posts on Ich!! It should help you a lot

Reygan2 said:
I'm raising over a period of about 3 days. Tomorrow will be the day it should reach 86. I'm using the round glass thermometer with the green suction cup that walmart sells. I hope it's accurate.

That thermometer is fine. Remember once you notice the ich is gone leave it at 86 for a couple of more days

thanks, I really hope this works. I don't want to have to use medication. I will definately pick up a QT on payday. Lesson learned.

As you know, keep the temp up at 86.

Also, do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from the substrate, add an airstone to increase oxygenation and maintain this schedule for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Ich usually gets worse before it gets better, so don't panic and stick to the schedule! ;)

Good luck!

As you know, keep the temp up at 86.

Also, do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from the substrate, add an airstone to increase oxygenation and maintain this schedule for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Ich usually gets worse before it gets better, so don't panic and stick to the schedule! ;)

Good luck!

Will do! I already have an airstone and I've lowered the water level to allow for better splashing from my 2 HOB's. Should that do it?

oh yea, will the high temp hurt my cory's? I think the tetras and DG will be fine. The temp is about 84/85 now and everybody's acting perfectly fine.

86 will speed up their life cycle, not kill them - the deal with heat is you make the cysts burst faster so medication (my favorite is quick cure which is formalin and malachite green) can kill the swarmers (they are safe while in the cysts from any meds). salt will also help. As these meds are designed to kill protozoans, they will not harm your bacteria in the filter in the least.

86 will speed up their life cycle, not kill them - the deal with heat is you make the cysts burst faster so medication (my favorite is quick cure which is formalin and malachite green) can kill the swarmers (they are safe while in the cysts from any meds). salt will also help. As these meds are designed to kill protozoans, they will not harm your bacteria in the filter in the least.

Where can I get quick cure?

disregard that last post, I found it online. So you're sure the high temp won't kill it? I've read that on here quite a bit.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom