The Fertility Clinic Needs Some Pointers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*snickers*

Didn't I tell you folks everything is my fault? LOL

I found FryBites at the not so lfs this eve and will be giving that a go tomorrow morn. They didn't have FirstBites or LiquiFry. Does anyone know if I should soak it first and target feed? And...how much? Half a pinch? Less? LOL I haven't the vaguest...

As for tonite, I'm going to boil an egg now and put a wee bit of strained yolk in. Is it possible to refridgerate the rest to use tomorrow?

When I went to bed last nite, I peered into the ram tank to check on the fry and they were gone! I couldn't see them. The timer had shut the tank lights off about an hour before, so I turned the lights on to get a better look. Lo and behold, there they were, tucked into the depression they had been born near, with mommy hovering about. Talk about cute! A lil ball of fry all curled up with mommy n daddy watching over. Nothing I read about mentioned this particular behavior, but its really neat j(ust wish I knew about it before so I didn't freak LOL).

I'm going to use up my squeal quotient with these guys *grin*

Some of yor good luck must have rubbed off on me. Last night, I noticed once of my females at the top of the tank gasping for air, but otherwise unharmed. My tongue went numb from being scared so I scoped out the scene only to find that the other two had paired and laid eggs out of my sight!! Apparently, they had ran the other female half to death.

I took her out and put her in the 29 gallon to catch her breath until it all blows over.They laid them right behind my pearlgrass bunch. Ive only had them for 2 weeks!! I will try to get pictures posted if they make it to the wriggler stage, as the parents are still pretty young.

Wheeeee! It must be that time of year, although according to my calender its the middle of winter LOL They may surprise you Mantis; mine sure did. I had em for a week when they layed, and they are also juveniles (they are barely and inch long - some of the ghost shrimp are longer). Supposedly first breedings aren't successful; most of the eggs don't get fertilized and they then eat the rest, but mine didn't get the memo ;)

And get pics of the eggs too if you can Mantis; its a great way to document the entire process (and helps with problem solving later if need be).

Took more pics this afternoon; I tried a little squeezed egg yolk as the BBS has yet to hatch and couldn't tell if they ate any. I tried taking some pics thinking maybe the close-up would show but I still am not sure. It appeared they were eating tho, so we'll see. Tonite I try the frozen BBS.

While I couldn't tell if they ate the egg yolk, I did discover something else. Apparently they are Vermicious Knids (those who read the sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator will know what I mean LOL):

"But if they're so fierce and dangerous," Charlie said, "why didn't they eat us up right away in the Space Hotel? Why did they waste time twisting their bodies into letters and writing SCRAM?"

"Because they're show–offs," Mr. Wonka replied. "They're tremendously proud of being able to write like that."

"But why say scram when they wanted to catch us and eat us?"

"It's the only word they know," Mr. Wonka said.

I just got done chatting with the person I got the fish from. He says once I get a sold pair of these gold rams, thats it. No other cichlid can be introduced. Not because of the belligerence, but because of the size of my tank. That was why the 3rd female one was looking so tired when I found it gasping at the top of the tank. It seems I can never reintroduce that one to the tank.

I was thinking of "defying" his advice after the eggs did what they were gonna do. I wonder what would happen if I reintroduced the 3rd female after all the breeding and removed the eggs? Is there any chance the male might switch it up? Ive had this happen with blue rams, but gold rams are new to me as far as behavior.

Im not expecting this batch to make it due to them being so young, but I will definitely take pictures of the action I see over the next few days :)

Oh my God, Alli, they're really starting to look like little fishies now!!! How adorable!

Okay so you give 'em to Brian, and Brian, you can ship me a few, right???

What the flip is wrong with MY rams? Why won't they do the nasty?!? They gotta be a pair--they look totally different!!! I even gave 'em some bloodworms after you told me yours bred right after eating them. I thought maybe it would work as an aphrodisiac... ;)

By the way, Mantis--I probably wouldn't put her back in there if you have another place for her. I've read that rams are monogamous once paired up and they might kill that other female. :(

Just a thought Madame...I had also tried some frozen BBS as well. It may have been the BBS that triggered things; I read somewhere it kinda says to the parents "oh look! theres a food supply for babies!"

Then again, maybe its something in my water LOL

Oh and Fruitbat - you know Charlie and the Great Glass elevator!! I always thought that was the better book *grin* and I LURVE the Vermocious Knids! Nice to know I'm not the only one who knows about it :)

Good to know... I'll be off to PetsMart tomorrow to pick up some more frozen treats! :)

I've fed them frozen daphnia before, but maybe that doesn't quite have the same affect.

These of mine seemed to hate each other until I introduced live blood worms. I really think thats what triggered this breed.

Ahh attrition.

We're down to about 30 or so fry. I haven't been able to do a water change since Weds nite. With the cold, we are having water pipe and boiler probs (I also haven't taken a shower since Weds...ewwww...sponge baths don't cut it!). The few occasions we have had water in the past few days its been nasty and rust stained. So I'm sure the lack of water changes is having an effect :( Hopefully, with the new boiler in today *fingers crossed*, the pipes fixed and the new insulation installed I can get some fresh clean water into the tank today!

Oh! And that weird tucking in behavior? Is apparently par for the course. I watched em carefully last nite when I turned the light off. Sure enough mom n dad herded the fry into one of the depressions and stood watch over em while they curled up into a ball and slept. How cute is that??

Heh we're down to about 10 fry left. Dad has rescinded his duties, leaving only mom to watch the little ones and they are way too active for her. Dunno if I'll wind up with any mature rams from this spawning, but theres always a chance :) And if not? I am much more prepared next time and then I WILL have babies left *grin*

the "tucking in"....that's adorable!

well, if i had to watch over 30 toddlers all by myself, i guess i probably wouldn't be surprised either if there were only 10 left after a day or two.... :roll:

i hope a few of them survive. that is really, really neat, what you've got going on in there...

Back
Top Bottom