The mystery of the disappearing fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nevermore52

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an odd situation where random fish disappear from my 10g tank in the basement. The tank is very healthy, all the parameters check out okay, all fish and plants seem healthy and active...just every once in a while I come home and a fish is missing. 2 Platies have disappeared in the last 2 weeks and several other times over the past year other fish have disappeared (I forget what they were). And I can NEVER find their bodies.

The tank doesnt have a hood, it has a piece of plexiglass over the top that covers about half of it. Is there any chance that Platies or other similar fish have jumped out of the tank? I do have 3 cats...and before anyone says the cats fished them out of the tank, I can guarantee you that my cats in no way, shape, or form are concerned about any of the fish in any of my 5 tanks. My theory is that maybe the fish jumped out and the cats ate them once they were on the floor. The tank sits on a bookshelf about 5 feet tall.

Any ideas?

Is anyone eating them in the tank? What else do you have? Myself i keep losing cory cats. 3 of them completely gone, now they didn't jump out. And no one big enough to eat em.

Yup, guess they jumped! might want to get a proper hood.

Nah, I have plexiglass tops on all my tanks and they work very well, makes setting up lighting fixtures much easier...except on that one tank I guess :)

i've had the same thing happen to my cories. anytime i get more some disappear and i'm back down to 2 again. i almost never see the carcass. i think once i found a carcass.

Back
Top Bottom