The perfect LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
This probably needs to move to the hardware thread, but my iPad application doesn't list it (okay forum guys, what gives?).

I have been following everyone's discussions on LED lighting. As an engineer I am curious as to the opinions everyone has about this and would like to see what you think are the most critical elements to a good LED light and rank them in importance. Any other suggestions would be well received for a DIY experiment I am getting ready to conduct. Restrict this to coral growing LEDs and forget what is already in the market...we are looking for the perfect light.

1) Power efficiency, most par per watt

2) Spectrum flexibility, able to tune colors to your setting, add reds, etc.

3) Programmability, can it interface to controllers

4) Programmability, can interface to its own proprietary controller (probably cheaper)

5) Upgradability, can the units power output be increased by a mod.

6) Mounting flexibility, rails, hanging, wall mount, etc.

7) Quietness, can you hear the fans and is that a problem?

8) Size, would a tiny more powerful LED fixture be better?

9) Low price. Would be more interested if it was a less expensive DIY kit for example.

10) Lensing/coverage flexibility, you can vary the coverage once the fixture is installed.

Thanks, I intend on using this feedback to see what is available on the market that fits these needs. Coral growing LED panels go from a few hundred dollars to almost a thousand. It seems everyone has a slightly different take on LEDs and I am hoping this dialog will help identify what are the most important aspects. All the LED panels project little heat, are energy efficient compared to MH, so some things are common to them all. But there are other aspects to them.

Back
Top Bottom