The Weekend Toss-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was extremely bored yesterday (don't all great projects start that way?) and decided to build this,

20130506_190612.jpg

It's about 2.5x4.5 feet and isn't completely finished. I still have to add on the sides. My dilemma, now that I've built this large thing, I don't know what to house in it. It's a toss up between Finches and Geckos. I have wanted birds since I was young but was always told no, I'm 25 now so I am assuming my parents can't say that anymore lol
On the other hand it would make an awesome habitat for Crested Geckos. Whichever I choose will change the look of the habitat and a background will be added according to the species.
Any opinions?

What are all the surfaces made out of? Just asking because I am thinking about circulation and evaporation. :)

Also, it looks awesome. Good job!

It's made out of wood and the front is acrylic. The sides are going to be screened in to provide enough air flow. If I need to I may drill some holes along the top to provide that extra air flow.

Looks great! Not a fan of birds so if it was mine, it would house a reptile of some sort. What about a chameleon?

Thanks Tetra! I'm more leaning towards geckos though. I want a few different species in there so I might go with the House Gecko and Anoles.

Personally, I vote for reptiles. With screen sides, you will have a harder time keeping in humidity, but the air flow will be good. Just be aware of that when you look at species to make sure nothing you want will be too picky about humidity. In general, that is a bigger deal with amphibians anyways though, not as much with reptiles (other than at shedding time).
I also still vote that you look into day geckos. There are some super ones, and more readily housed with other creatures than some of the more aggro geckos (like the tokay ;) ).

Thanks for the tips Kara :)
I looked up the Day Geckos and they are super duper cute. If humidity is going to pose as a problem I can make one of the sides acrylic and the door side screened in. I added three ferns to the enclosure today so I'm going to have to install some type of misting system to the top for the plants. I found an awesome idea for the back wall the other night. You take moss and blend it up with buttermilk and water then you can paint the mixture along a surface and the moss will grow. I painted the entire back wall with it so hopefully I will have my own moss wall in a few weeks. I built a small fountain for it as well. This is a slow build but I'm happy with the progress so far.

I totally forgot to include a picture :)
Hopefully when the back grows in it'll help blend in the fountain. It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb at the moment. The more I think of the plants and stuff the more I realize that I'm going to need a drainage layer so I'll probably install that tonight before I proceed any further. I'm going to have this thing well established with the plants and stuff before I stock it with anything living. Any recommendations for safe plants that won't hurt the reptiles?

20130510_145020.jpg

I totally forgot to include a picture :)
Hopefully when the back grows in it'll help blend in the fountain. It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb at the moment. The more I think of the plants and stuff the more I realize that I'm going to need a drainage layer so I'll probably install that tonight before I proceed any further. I'm going to have this thing well established with the plants and stuff before I stock it with anything living. Any recommendations for safe plants that won't hurt the reptiles?

View attachment 172886
That is utterly fantabulous! I hope you get some moss. keep the pics coming as you get more stuff figured out.
It sounds like you will be fully able to control the humidity, so no worries there. Especially if you have a misting system. :)
For plants, I have used some basic bromeliads before. It is a good idea to to get plants from a pet store or an organic nursery so you know they haven't been treated with anything that can rub off on an animal's skin. That is not usually an issue, but some species are more sensitive than others.
You can also do orchids, spath, or pretty much any of the plants that people accidentally buy for aquariums and THEN learn are not fully aquatic. Like, bamboo for example.

Thanks clearancepuppy! And a big thank you Kara for the suggestions. At this point all I have for plants are common Ivy and two Ferns. I picked up Dwarf Mt. Atlas Daisy but can't find much info on them for vivariums. I have seen terrarium kits with those particular plants though so I'm really not sure of it'll work or not.

I have new pictures :)

20130525_232744.jpg20130525_232809.jpg20130525_232800.jpg

My moss wasn't growing so I tried it again with a different mixture and different moss. Currently I am in the works of designing a new waterfall, it looks to much like a teddy bear for my liking lol
Two new Ostrich Ferns were added as well. After some research it seems that Ferns are a good vivarium plant plus I'm loving the look of them.

Thanks! Sadly one of my ferns looks like it isn't doing so well :(
I think it's getting too much light so I transferred it outside by the house, I hope it perks back up soon

Well it seems like forever since I've updated this. I recently had a few Guinea Pigs fall into my lap because my little brother did not have the time to spend with them because of his full time job so he basically left them at my house. This was all unknowing to me at the time because he had originally left them here so I could watch them while he was out of state for the weekend. So basically I am the proud owner to four Pigs which I have fallen in love with and decided to turn my big box into a huge Guinea Pig cage! They love the extra space and I think I'll just wait a few years on the vivarium, I have too many pets as is at the moment.

PicsArt_1372394370715.jpg

Back
Top Bottom