Thermometer broke inside of water!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmar80

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help! I was doing a water change and putting my thermometer back in. And it broke! I immediately took it out and scooped as much as I could out. Put my fish in the QT tank. Are they going to be ok? I am cleaning it all out and not putting the gravel back in. I only took 1.5g of water out to put in the QT tank. Can I put that water back in when I put them back in my regular tank? What do i do??? Will my fish be ok???

Ok. Should I keep the filter I have or put a new one in? I can't believe this happened ?

If the thermometer is new than it contains no mercury.. Just get all the glass out and do a couple wc and it should be just fine..

Nope, alcohol, mercury is really only present in motion sensing devices, like your smartphone knows when to switch screen modes and reacts to movements for controlling video games.. Mercury!

I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask what procedure they suggest. I email the manufacturers all the time. You should get a response in 24hrs. since it is Sunday. Check their FAQ page if they have one. Can u post the make or a pic of the thermometer?

Did the stuff that came out bead up or was it liquid?

Look at the answers in this thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...eter-broken-any-hazards-to-my-fish-15103.html

Thanks everyone. I went to my LFS and they walked me through it. I trashed the gravel just to make sure I didn't have anything in there. Fish look like they are ok ?

Back
Top Bottom