Things we say to keep little fingers out of the tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I told my kids to keep their hands out of the tank and betta bowls or the fish will think their fingers are food and eat them. Never had little fingers in the tank since! :pimp: The idea was re-enforced when I was cleaning the tank and my female betta swam up and nipped me scaring the crap outa me making me jump and scream scarin them too LOL :ROFLMAO:
Poor kids :rolleyes:

What have you said to kiddos to keep your fish safe?

I've always been straight up with my kids. My eldest is 16 and my youngest is 8. I've told them if they mess with the fish too much that the fish could get stressed out and possibly die. I've always included them in my hobby. I grew up with a father who kept piranhas and used to frighten me with them. (he used to stick my hand in the tank, I saw what they did to the goldfish) So I swore when we got fish I'd never scare my kids. My kids have been awesome, we've never had an issue (even when they were little) about "playing" in the tank. I think it's because I let them take part when I did. I think It's just about showing them the proper times and ways.

I've always been straight up with my kids. My eldest is 16 and my youngest is 8. I've told them if they mess with the fish too much that the fish could get stressed out and possibly die. I've always included them in my hobby. I grew up with a father who kept piranhas and used to frighten me with them. (he used to stick my hand in the tank, I saw what they did to the goldfish) So I swore when we got fish I'd never scare my kids. My kids have been awesome, we've never had an issue (even when they were little) about "playing" in the tank. I think it's because I let them take part when I did. I think It's just about showing them the proper times and ways.

Oh that's terrible! That must have been just awful! I am so sorry that happened to you! I am suprsied you ever wanted to keep fish after a story like that behind you. I'm glad you moved passed it and got fish!!!

I have a 2 year old that doesn't know what stress or dying is. My just turned 5 year sorta gets it, but not really. My 10 year old and 14 year old of course know the real reason why they shouldn't put their hands in the tank. When my tots are old enough to understand what stress and disease and dying is, then they will too know the real reason why their fingers don't go in the tank. By that time my 5 month old is able to climb, he will have enough older siblings to know not to mess with the fish I imagine.

All my kids help me with the fish care too. Each has their own job :) The 2 year old feeds the bottom feeders, the 5 year old feeds thw cichlid, the 10 year old helps with transferring water back and forth and the 14 year old helps "research" and transferring fish when need be.

It was my eldest that got me into the hobby. I haven't entirely gotten over it. I still refuse to keep piranhas lol! When my kids were really young (around 1-2) I'd tell them the fish would go bye bye if they messed with them ;-) It wasn't until they were older (once the fish started dying) that I told them they'd get sick and die. I don't want you to think I'm cruel by introducing them to death too young.

It was my eldest that got me into the hobby. I haven't entirely gotten over it. I still refuse to keep piranhas lol! When my kids were really young (around 1-2) I'd tell them the fish would go bye bye if they messed with them ;-) It wasn't until they were older (once the fish started dying) that I told them they'd get sick and die. I don't want you to think I'm cruel by introducing them to death too young.
Oh heck no! We have a lot of pets and the kids have seen death...they just don't quite understand that the animal is actually gone for ever! No matter what I tell the 2 year, she is completely confused. When our pleco died, the 5 year old tried to explain to her that he went to fishy heaven. It's tough. I also told my kids the fish would be gone...I actually told them if they messed with the fish and beat on the tank that I would give the fish to someone else, and I meant it. I didn't want fish...they were for my 10 year. Then I fell in-love :) Fish aren't going anywhere!

I don't have kids but I've had to keep pesky neighbor kids out of my tank. One of my neighbors at my old apartments would try to come in whenever they were spending the weekend with their dad since I had a cat, two bunnies and fish. They loved the baby angelfish. Thankfully they were old enough to listen when I told them that tapping on the glass was bad and would stress out the fish. They didn't listen when I said bunnies like to bite and didn't like strangers petting them. They learned pretty quick on that front, though!

At the time when I started the aquarium, my daughter was 5 going on 6 and my son, 3 going on 4....so I come downstairs where they were supposed to be watching tv, glanced over to the aquarium, at the time I had 3 pepper corys, 3 guppys and 3 swordtails and ALL were at the back in a corner, I knew immediately one or both had to have a hand in the matter, so off the tv went and I went into Interrogation mode, since they like helping with water changes, feeding, etc, I told them neither would do anything for 2 days, then 3, then 4 then my son gave the game up, snitching first....ofcourse my daughter then saw her game was up and decided to take the wrap but her brother was going down with her and I then found out the two of them were knocking on the aquarium glass.

They "served" their punishment and have never had a problem in that department again! :dance:

Then again....I do still have a 8 month old baby lol! And he has shown MAJOR interest already!

At the time when I started the aquarium, my daughter was 5 going on 6 and my son, 3 going on 4....so I come downstairs where they were supposed to be watching tv, glanced over to the aquarium, at the time I had 3 pepper corys, 3 guppys and 3 swordtails and ALL were at the back in a corner, I knew immediately one or both had to have a hand in the matter, so off the tv went and I went into Interrogation mode, since they like helping with water changes, feeding, etc, I told them neither would do anything for 2 days, then 3, then 4 then my son gave the game up, snitching first....ofcourse my daughter then saw her game was up and decided to take the wrap but her brother was going down with her and I then found out the two of them were knocking on the aquarium glass.

They "served" their punishment and have never had a problem in that department again! :dance:

Then again....I do still have a 8 month old baby lol! And he has shown MAJOR interest already!
LOL! Great story! Sounds like the fish are going to be in trouble LOL! The 8 month old already wanting to play with them! Ha Ha! My 5 month old does too...he does the inch worm crawl over the the tank and sits up staring at it...can't see much. The tank is 4' off the ground LOL! But he knows something fun is up!

I just tell my 6 and 8yro brothers not to touch anything and they listen. I think it's cuz they saw how hard I worked on my tank and they understand how much money I put into it. I let them name my fish too. Its funny cuz they will annoy the heck out of me and not listen but when it comes to my fish and my bikes, they are totally obedient.

Wow I'm awful! :twisted: I feel so guilty now after reading the few posts on this topic. All of you knid people telling them just how it is..me telling my toddlers my fish will think they're fingers are food. Their curiosity kept winning them over getting them to stick their hands in the tank, until I told them that! The plain truth wasn't enough to keep them out! The last straw was when my 2 year old put her swimming suit on and I busted her climbing into the tank! After that...what else was I to do? :rolleyes:

Lovin Fish said:
Wow I'm awful! :twisted: I feel so guilty now after reading the few posts on this topic. All of you knid people telling them just how it is..me telling my toddlers my fish will think they're fingers are food. Their curiosity kept winning them over getting them to stick their hands in the tank, until I told them that! The plain truth wasn't enough to keep them out! The last straw was when my 2 year old put her swimming suit on and I busted her climbing into the tank! After that...what else was I to do? :rolleyes:

Hahaha looks like u have a future Michael Phelps on your hands

Lovin Fish said:
.....The last straw was when my 2 year old put her swimming suit on and I busted her climbing into the tank! After that...what else was I to do? :rolleyes:

Hahahahaha!!! That is so funny and cute!!

I caught my son, 16 months, with his fingers in a tank for the first time last night. He's gotten too tall! Now I have to worry about him AND his sister! :/
My daughter, 3, has never put anything in the tank other then her fingers, thank goodness! I've had to resort to time outs. I think she's finally starting to understand. I do tell her putting her hands in the tank can make the fish sick. :)

My 3 year old doesn't touch the tank or tap on the glass which is nice. She understands fishes die so when we remove them I let her say bye and she gives the fish a military salute before it goes off to Davy jones locker( she lives pirates of the carribean). Then I get the honor of being told I have to buy her new fish. She helps me feed them but she know not to touch the testing kits or the food unless I'm around and I'm proud of her. When she goes to bed she watches my ten gallon until she passes out so that's why I'm getting her her own tank for her new room.

I guess growing up fishing since I was 2 I feel at ease caring about my tanks and I enjoy taking her to the lfs with me. But she hates cichlids especially red devils since one rushed the glass when she got to close. Almost peed myself laughing. I think natural aquariums are better for infants then those fake cheapies plus who doesnt want to fall asleep to real music such as led Zeppelin or the smashing pumpkins. I always have porcelina if the vast oceans playing

Lovin Fish said:

That's funny. I bet you laughed

Lovin Fish said:

I think it would be absolutly fun to go swimming with the fishes. But that is just great! Lol

Starka said:
I think it would be absolutly fun to go swimming with the fishes. But that is just great! Lol

On monster fish keepers there is a guy that has a 770 gal and he has pics of him swimming in it. I **** you not!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom